You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13-7-2015 10:05:35  #21

Re: Typewriter Horror Story Time! *Dont read if easily scared!*

Well, I left comments. Idiots. I wrote, among other things, would you do this to an old violin?

13-7-2015 11:26:21  #22

KatLondon wrote:

Well, I left comments. Idiots.

That's the best approach. If they receive enough complaints it might actually cause them to think through what it is that they're doing to these vintage machines that can never be replaced.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

13-7-2015 12:05:51  #23

I had a look around their blog a bit more, and, lucky music teacher! She gets a necklace made out of a tuning peg from... an old violin.  I'd be gutted to get an end of term gift like that!

13-7-2015 13:18:20  #24

OMG you are kidding. So she WOULD. 

14-7-2015 20:39:01  #25

KatLondon wrote:

Well, I left comments. Idiots. I wrote, among other things, would you do this to an old violin?

Good for you!

Wonder if they allow attachments. 

Didn't spend much time on GIF file.  Thought about making tin-snips to open & close along with having squirrel's mouth move to the captions like some cheesy Monty Python animation.  Too lazy though.

If I could embed a GIF file in comments...  Might make extra time worth it!

Squirrelly the Key Chopper: 

Endless loop: "I'm an idiot!  Snip-snip-snip! --  I'm an idiot!  Snip-snip-snip!"

Something tells me that would quickly be blocked or deleted.  ; )

Brian

14-7-2015 20:44:47  #26

malole wrote:

I had a look around their blog a bit more, and, lucky music teacher! She gets a necklace made out of a tuning peg from... an old violin.  I'd be gutted to get an end of term gift like that!

KatLondon wrote:

OMG you are kidding. So she WOULD.

Almost missed prior discussion but that's...  It's beyond words.

Smack 'artist' over the head with an old violin?

One that's been filled with concrete?

Nah!  Probably just crack the cement.

Words like egoistic opportunist come to mind, but of course someone like that wouldn't listen.  : (

18-7-2015 16:21:22  #27

I've been looking for a part to repair the bell mechanism for a Hermes 2000. 

No luck yet, but did run across some real gems that may or may not be for the faint of heart.  I'm guessing 'veterans' are already aware of this, but for someone just learning about typewriters...  Came as something of a shock. 

I mean no offense, but people fall for these sorts of things?

1.) For the well heeled, a rare $900 Typewriter at etsy. 

(Assuming it's not repainted, reproduction decals, and color keys aren't "authenic reproductions" from a laser printer.)

What does "Jigger approved" mean in hipster-speak?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/238442795/rare-1936-remington-rand-5-typewriter?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=remington%20typewriter&ref=sr_gallery_6

2.) USB Typewriter--  in your cubicle, be the envy of cour co-workers, and maybe Scott Adams will feature you in a 'Dilbert' cartooon.  A bargain at $800 

Is Modern-Retro an oxymoron?

http://www.usbtypewriter.com/products/usb-typewriter-royal-deluxe-with-chrome-accents

3.)  "Revitalized" = Marketing genious!  My hat's off to this guy.  Choose three grades of typewriter depending on your income. 

https://www.etsy.com/listing/161594664/revitalized-brown-olympia-sm4-typewriter?ref=market

Like I said, I'm guessing many of you already know about these things, but am I the only one finds this completely mystifying?  Part of it's humor, but part of it's serious.  People actually buy these things?  I'm... at a loss for words.

Brian 

Last edited by BrianE (18-7-2015 16:30:33)

18-7-2015 19:47:10  #28

The Antikey Chop is actually a well known collector 
of rare and early typewriters.

My blog - Just Typewriters

19-7-2015 15:29:17  #29

Yeah...

There are definitely people who want to just 'buy a typewriter' and will pay more for one that's been all sorted out and is more or less perfect. Those prices all seem stratospheric to me, but the Remington Rand looks a pretty fab machine, and it sounds like the SM4 has had a very thorough service and restoration. The platen is an expensive oproposition on its own & will easily add over £100 to the price. And the shipping materials are not cheap either - anyone who's bought online knows how worrying the shipping is, so he is smart to use his packing as a selling point.

Having said that, I hate Etsy; it's just hipster heaven. Think of a reasonable price and double it. But fair play, etc, and I  guess at least by renovating machines and sellling them for more, Antikey Chop really IS saving them from the choppers! The people I dislike on there are the ones who take a perfectly good typewriter, paint it pink, and then sell it for £300.

The USB thing is just what it is... in my weaker moments I've thought how nice it would be if there was a typewriter that fed into a digital file...

20-7-2015 20:29:15  #30

Well $800 is too rich for my blood of course, but I do know some retired professionals who probably wouldn't bat an eyelash at payingthat much if they wanted truely restored (as opposed to just cleaned up) vintage typewriter with book, kit, & all its papers, etc..

So if I'm ever asked...

You two did him a favor! 

Am guessing if he has an 800 # -- can probably skip the e-bay or etsy fees.

One last question tho.  Got curious about the Olympia.  $800 from his e-bay strore (brown) -vs- one going for $200 (gray) also 'restored and lubricated' by retired tech.  No returns...  Hmmm....  The latter guy doesn't stand by his work?

Anyway, with pens & telephones color can sometime affect price depending on common, scarce, and downright rare.

Same true for typewriters, or so many produced isn't an issue?

Last edited by BrianE (20-7-2015 20:32:52)

Board footera