You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

24-7-2015 23:51:13  #41

Re: Typewriter Horror Story Time! *Dont read if easily scared!*

Retro-Z wrote:

I personally think it would be really cool to clean up an older,pre-1930 large open-frame standard machine and paint it something like fire-engine red or turquoise blue.

I was actually thinking about taking my Royal 10 and painting it white because A) it'd look pretty awesome in my opinion and B) I wouldn't see my darn finger prints everytime I touch it.

And I feel the same way. Though I think it's better to have 'em pink than polished jewelry.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

26-2-2016 18:38:24  #42

Keychoppers!!  Dadburn blankety-blank keychoppers!!!  Well, folks, here is a thought:  When you see or hear of someone chopping keys off of what seems like a decent, repairable machine, offer to buy it or take it off their hands, take it home, and put OTHER keys ON it.  As I have said before, typewriter repairmen have salvaged keys off of old, beyond-repair carcasses, as have I, since time immemorial.  But here's the difference:  The keys GO BACK ON OTHER TYPEWRITERS!!!! If you hear of or see a typewriter that's had its keys removed.  Get it, take it home, and give the critter some new teeth!!!

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

26-2-2016 19:12:02  #43

Ah, well great idea, BUT most key choppers either cut the type bars too short, or twist them.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

18-3-2016 18:26:35  #44

Yes, I recently saw that--after my last post here.  They really foul 'em up but good.  I apologize for a past ignorance that has since been rectified.  I've seen pictures of the wreckage ol' snips leaves behind.  I've mentioned in another thread about what I would do if I saw one of these machines:  First, I would take it home.  If the machine is otherwise repairable, I would remove the key levers themselves.  I would need to find either a newer machine whose levers would fit, or an identical older one that still has keys ol' snips doesn't know about.  And I would change them out to the machine that is the most repairable--possibly the chopped one.  It's a complicated operation.  I have transferred key levers before.  It takes awhile, but repairing typewriters is half the fun.  And the pride I would feel whenever I could say that I saved a keychopped machine by putting in new (to the typewriter) keys and new levers.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

Board footera