You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-7-2015 19:32:11  #1

New Hermes, all better now!

I received my new Hermes 3000 in the mail today and I've already wrecked it.  I can't figure out what I've done.  When it arrived it was packed well in its case, with bubble wrap inside, and newspaper outside the case.  The carriage was in the middle of the machine as it should be. 

I twiddled some knobs and levers on the sides, getting ready to roll a sheet of paper in, and managed to mess up the margins and lock the carriage completely over to the right.  It is purely stuck, and nothing I have done will release it.  It took the back off, and I can physically move the margins over if I press the levers and move the margin stops with my fingers. 

The carriage is all the way over at the 0 mark on the paper bail , but the left margin is to the right of it.  Someone on Facebook suggested that it can cause problems if the carriage somehow gets to the other side of the left margin, but I can't figure out how I can get it back over to the other side.

So, the good news is that it wasn't destroyed in the post, it's in good shape, and it is cursive. The bad news is that I can't even try it out until I get the carriage moving. Anyone ever had a similar problem and fix with a Hermes?

Last edited by Spazmelda (20-7-2015 11:11:39)

14-7-2015 20:35:26  #2

Re: New Hermes, all better now!

Does margin release work?

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

14-7-2015 21:42:53  #3

The margin release will release the left margin, but it just zips to the middle and the carriage still  won't move. I'm now wondering if there is a bit of metal stuck in the carriage rails. We can see something, but we can't tell if it is supposed to be there or not.

14-7-2015 21:45:58  #4

Spazmelda wrote:

The margin release will release the left margin, but it just zips to the middle and the carriage still won't move. I'm now wondering if there is a bit of metal stuck in the carriage rails. We can see something, but we can't tell if it is supposed to be there or not.

What I'm reading is that the margin release is moving the left margin to the center. Is that what you meant to say? Margin release should allow the carriage to bypass either margin, not move the margin.

15-7-2015 04:26:39  #5

OMG this sounds soooo annoying. We need a picture of this beauty, no matter what happens!

But it may just be the weird Hermes 3000 margin thing. The whole margin enterprise on one of these is different from every other machine (except, slightly, a Hermes 2000). Does your machine have the red ribbon margin system, and is there a ribbon in it? If you release it, using the little curved lever on theright carriage-end, which looks like a carriage return, it makes the ribbon shoot to the middle and the carriage refuse to budge.

To re-set the margin, you hold that lever down ALONG WITH the little green button next to it - this is your true carriage release button - and, holding them both at the same time, move the carriage to where you want your new margin to be.

This takes a couple of goes to get the hang of it and I'm willing to bet - that is, I hope - is the source of your problem.

Keep us posted! Pictures! Even a video. I want your 3000 to work!  

15-7-2015 05:46:15  #6

No unfortunately I tried that, holding the lever and the button at the same time doesn't budge the carriage. The margin  ribbon is there and seems to be working properly.  I'll post some pics in a bit.

Last edited by Spazmelda (15-7-2015 05:47:34)

15-7-2015 05:57:30  #7

JustAnotherGuy wrote:

Spazmelda wrote:

The margin release will release the left margin, but it just zips to the middle and the carriage still won't move. I'm now wondering if there is a bit of metal stuck in the carriage rails. We can see something, but we can't tell if it is supposed to be there or not.

What I'm reading is that the margin release is moving the left margin to the center. Is that what you meant to say? Margin release should allow the carriage to bypass either margin, not move the margin.

Okay, so the carriage is stuck all the way over to the left, like at point 0.  If I press margin release while holding down the margin setting lever, it moves a little lever/bar at the back and allows the left margin to zip to the middle of the carriage. It doesn't do anything to the right margin.  Pressing the margin release without holding down the margin setting lever doesn't do anything except move the little bar.

15-7-2015 07:24:59  #8

Here is a video I took http://youtu.be/FtFHAkL0rmU

15-7-2015 08:45:51  #9

The margin release key is a button on the keyboard, not the carriage. The buttons you were using we automatic margin controls. Basically, they work by pulling a lever on one side of the carriage. This will make whichever margin the lever belongs to move to where the carriage is positioned. This is why only one margin zipped to the middle, the other one can't go any further back because the carriage is behind it.

Am I making sense? It can be hard to get the concept of automatic margins without pictures to help. If you're still confused I can get my own 3000 out and take a look at it.

You're best bet is to press the actual "margin release" key and see if you can go past the margin that is trapping you.

15-7-2015 09:19:54  #10

I've predsed the margin release key. The one on the keyboard. With the two arrows. It is green and a button an I have pressed it. Lol.

Board footera