You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17-7-2015 07:13:45  #21

Re: New Hermes, all better now!

I hope so.  If I can ever get it out!  I managed to type a few letters and see the cursive printed out, so I'm motivated now.  I tried pub blaster, heat, and tapping the screw, but I still can't get it to budge.  I think I need my husband to help get some torque on it while I hold it, but we've barely crossed paths in the past 2 days. Maybe this afternoon he will have a minute.

17-7-2015 07:14:31  #22

Pub blaster, lol.  Thanks autocorrect.  PB Blaster.

18-7-2015 19:29:08  #23

My patient husband went to Home Depot and got me a special screwdriver which was successful.  I've now made some progress in diagnosing the problem.  The little pawl (?) that moves the star wheel backwards for a backspace is not disengaging, ever.  It moves a bit out of the way, but not enough to allow the carriage to move forward, only backward. I tried putting a little rubber band on the part to move it out of the way, and yay, now I can move the carriage forward, and it moves forward as it is supposed to when I type and when I hit the space bar.  Now, I just have to figure out why it is not moving out of the way when it is supposed to, and how to fix it.  This is nice to see though:

18-7-2015 20:17:05  #24

Ive never had a cursive typewriter, Ive gotta get one! lol

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

18-7-2015 20:38:20  #25

I've got a cursive sm9, but I'd been dreaming of a cursive Hermes.  I really hope I can get it working rights. I have hope now!

19-7-2015 12:55:56  #26

Yay, I think I got it all sorted out.  There was a just a little stop that I had to bend oh... Less than a millimeter I'd guess. That allowed the backspace dog or pawl (whatever the thing that pushes the wheel for the backspace is called) to get out of the way for the carriage to move.  It must have gotten bent either in shipping or when I unpacked it.  I also put some washers in the bottom of the case, in between the feet and the body, because the carriage was hanging up on the left side, getting caught on the case. Now I just have to reattach the right side carriage release that I knocked out of place while messing with it, and it should be all good to go! Oh, and I'll have to make a new right hand platen knob, but I have a plan that includes a milk jug lid, instamorph, and some nice sea-foam green Sally Hanson nail polish.

Last edited by Spazmelda (19-7-2015 13:22:09)

19-7-2015 15:12:13  #27

Excellent! Good to see it looking so fine.

19-7-2015 15:33:35  #28

Wow, amazing! That type is LOVELY and I'd be over the moon if I were you. Very impressove fix.

I didn't know you had a carriage knob problem, and don't recognise the priduct names you're using to fix it, but can only applaud the nail polish part of it; I regularly use nail polish to fix chips in ceramics, etc. Will be interested to see the colour match...

19-7-2015 17:39:43  #29

Kat, I know it had a platen/carriage knob missing when I bought it, so at least that wasn't a surprise.  I've read it's very common on the Hermes 3000? I'm very very pleased to have figured that out and gotten it working.  At the point when the carriage didn't move at all I was convinced I was way over my head and would not be able to get it working by myself. Someone who knows what they are doing would probably have been able to diagnose it in a few minutes, but oh well... That is how you learn I guess.

Last edited by Spazmelda (19-7-2015 17:40:58)

19-7-2015 18:09:46  #30

That's a brilliant typeface - much more readable than the  cursive scripts offered by some othe manufacturers.  I find many of the cursives to be too dense and 'clotted' but not this one.
Would be a valuable addition to the typeface samples thread!

Sincerely,
beak.

Board footera