You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-7-2015 21:04:03  #1

Lost or Delayed Typewriter Delivery Questions: DHL Germany - USA

Hi Everyone,

I'd asked this question under "Machines Destroyed in Post" but may have been overlooked, or maybe no one knows.

Figured I'd start this topic for *missing* or delayed items, sellers, and poor delivery services.

So here goes.

Really bummed out and starting to worry.  Have a hunch I'm never going to see a typewriter ordered from Germany.  Seller did her part.  Here is timeline.

----------
Mon, 06.07.2015 12:11 h:  Germany:  The shipment has been posted by the sender at the retail outlet.

Mon, 06.07.2015 19:08 h:  Hamburg, Germany:  The international shipment has been processed in the parcel center of origin.

Tue, 07.07.2015 04:15 h:  Saulheim, Germany:  The international shipment has been processed in the export parcel center.

Wed, 08.07.2015 14:04 h:  IPZ-Ffm, Germany:  The shipment will be transported to the destination country and, from there, handed over to the delivery organization. (Homepage / online shipment tracking: ) 
----------

So it's waiting at their airport or customs/export?

USPS says it has received electronic notice to expect a package from Frankfurt Germany airport.

Nothing about American customs or where it will be sent.  Just seems to be 'lost' or sitting in Frankfurt.

DHL = Disappearing Hacked Logistics?

Unsettling because I've bought from England, France, Germany, Japan... Never a problem, but they were using Fed-Ex or Japan Post.  Fed-Ex seems to have an agreement & breezes through customs & Japan Post (while slow) does seem to have a way to let me know where an item is.

<sigh>

Suggestions on what I might do?  If never arrives, am covered by e-bay but would really like to receive the typewriter.

Thanks in advance. 

Brian

15-7-2015 05:47:26  #2

Re: Lost or Delayed Typewriter Delivery Questions: DHL Germany - USA

Presuming you have a parcel number or tracking number, I'd contact DHL customer services to try and get more info. If it means calling Germany, use Skype, it will be cheaper.

15-7-2015 11:02:47  #3

Patience is a virtue....

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the typewriter."

15-7-2015 13:26:19  #4

I've had many items shipped using DHL and have never experienced any issues, so I don't have any complaints. DHL is a branch of the German post office (Deutsche Post), and typically they hand over deliveries to the destination country's postal service, just as would happen if you were to ship something from your country using USPS. 

What I have experienced is a breakdown in tracking during that handoff. In other words, a parcel that was easy to track while it was still in DHL's hands would suddenly go dark once Canada Post took over. Typically the package would just arrive without any further tracking information. I think some of this might have to do with what type of service the sender pays for, because some only include tracking while the package is in DHL's control.

It's possible this is what's happened to you, that your country's carrier has it but doesn't provide tracking information. Or maybe there was a delay with it clearing customs. I would as Kat suggested contact DHL if you want to get to the bottom of it.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

15-7-2015 16:34:40  #5

Uwe wrote:

I've had many items shipped using DHL and have never experienced any issues, so I don't have any complaints. DHL is a branch of the German post office (Deutsche Post), and typically they hand over deliveries to the destination country's postal service, just as would happen if you were to ship something from your country using USPS. 

What I have experienced is a breakdown in tracking during that handoff. In other words, a parcel that was easy to track while it was still in DHL's hands would suddenly go dark once Canada Post took over. Typically the package would just arrive without any further tracking information. I think some of this might have to do with what type of service the sender pays for, because some only include tracking while the package is in DHL's control.

It's possible this is what's happened to you, that your country's carrier has it but doesn't provide tracking information. Or maybe there was a delay with it clearing customs. I would as Kat suggested contact DHL if you want to get to the bottom of it.

Makes sense.  Perhaps delay is with customs authorities. 

Meanwhile, messaged seller in Germany early this AM & received reply to effect, "Don't worry it's on the plane.  Should be there by next week."

Here's the text to make sure I have it straight.  This is embarrassing and I sincerely apologize to everyone fluent in German.  I mean no disrespect.  "kiene Practice" and the only way I'll get better is to keep at it!  

Seller gets 10 stars for putting up with me.  : )

My Feeble Attempt:
<Seller Name>,

Auch hier muss ich für meine begrenzte Fähigkeit in Deutsch zu sprechen entschuldigen!
Können Sie überprüfen den Status das Paket bitte?
Es scheint zu sein, Frankfurt / IPZ-Ffm verzögert.
-------
 Von letzten Mittwoch:
 -------
 Paket Sendungsnummer DHL: 0123456789
 Mi, 2015.08.07 14:04 Stunden IPZ-Ffm, Deutschland: Die Sendung wird in das Zielland transportiert und von dort auf die Lieferorganisation übergeben. (Homepage / Online-Sendungsverfolgung)
 -------

Ich fange an, über keine Aktivität hier kümmern. Paket ist verloren oder verlegt ? !

Vielen Dank für Ihre Zeit herausfinden, was der Status drauf ist.

Seller Reply:

Hallo

sie brauchen sich keine Sorgen zu machen . das Paket ist schon im Flugzeug und auf dem Weg zu Ihnen . Die nächste Meldung sehen sie wenn es in der USA ist.
 ich denke das sie das Paket diese Woche erhalten

ich schreibe in Deutsch damit sie üben können .
 ich finde ihr Deutsch sehr gut. Könnte alles verstehen. ich würde sehr glücklich Wenn ich so gut englisch sprechen Könnte Wie sie deutsch.
 Ich wünsche IHNEN alles gute für die Zukunft

<name>

-----------------

Anyway, I thank all three of you for your replies.

Brian

16-7-2015 08:27:32  #6

Hey Brian,
I haven't bought a typewriter from Germany, but I've bought numerous books and once a new slide rule from Faber-Castell, and all of those shipments were much later in arriving than I expected. I learned that the problem isn't with the German end of things, or in the carrier. The problem is in the ridiculous pettiness of the United States Customs, driven by our unreasoning fear that every parcel entering this country contains a bomb or other threat to our "national security."  Apparently, everything gets x-rayed, and then examined if they think there's something hidden that the x-ray couldn't image. I bought a Mitropa Guide from the Winter Season of 1938-39, which had all the sleeping car and dining car services for the Reichsbahn back then, and it took forty-six days to land in my mailbox. It was in the U.S. within seven days, and all the rest was taken up with our own bureaucracy . You know, H. L. Mencken said it best...."The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."

Rick

Rick

"I'll wrestle you for that typewriter."

16-7-2015 13:02:36  #7

The Cabin Boy wrote:

Hey Brian,
I haven't bought a typewriter from Germany, but I've bought numerous books and once a new slide rule from Faber-Castell, and all of those shipments were much later in arriving than I expected. I learned that the problem isn't with the German end of things, or in the carrier. The problem is in the ridiculous pettiness of the United States Customs, driven by our unreasoning fear that every parcel entering this country contains a bomb or other threat to our "national security."  Apparently, everything gets x-rayed, and then examined if they think there's something hidden that the x-ray couldn't image. I bought a Mitropa Guide from the Winter Season of 1938-39, which had all the sleeping car and dining car services for the Reichsbahn back then, and it took forty-six days to land in my mailbox. It was in the U.S. within seven days, and all the rest was taken up with our own bureaucracy . You know, H. L. Mencken said it best...."The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."

Rick

Hi Rick,

46 days ?   0 : !

Erstaunlich !

So much for someone's birthday present.  Had already planned on it *not* getting here, and so in a way I have you to thank for a backup.  More about that later. 

US Customs might explain it.  Funny how the mind works because I'd completely forgotten about a silly phone call until you mentioned them.

Around 2009, I got a call from a frustrated sounding Fed-Ex employee. 

Fed-Ex:  "Hi my name's Susan from Fed-Ex.  I'm trying to get a pen you ordered through customs.  Believe it or not, they consider ink to be a toxic substance.  <exasperated sigh>  Do you know if the pen has ink in it or not."

Me: "If you put ink in a fountain pen and carry it on a plane, I think would make a mess.  No one that I know would mail a pen with ink in it.  Just isn't done."

Fed-Ex: "T-h-a-n-k  Y-o-u!  That's all I needed to know."

So yes.... Customs or maybe DEA probably checking for contraband? 

That's where I owe you one.  Since I'd had a bad feeling about this transaction, I'd ordered a backup gift. 

Had already hinted a certain someone would be getting her very own typewriter...  Your story mentioned Olympia & Hermes, so I was curious. 

A 1958 Hermes 2000 safely arrived in San Antonio Texas today after being sent from Camas Washington-- a distance of 2,057.5 miles down I-84  (32 hour drive according to googlemaps.) 

We hammer the USPS, but three days expedited mail (one day ahead schedule) will mean a happy birthday for someone named Diana.  (Who will take out her silver bow and unerringly plug offending US Customs agents with arrows of death.)  Legend has it that she, and her twin brother Apollo (armed with a golden bow) never miss.

Greco-Roman mythology aside, I can see why people really like these machines.  Ribbon needs ink, but man!  This thing is schweet!   Fast as quick-silver!  Uhm... Mercury... Ha! 

Since the Missus touch types, she might like this machine better than the Royal "Diana" model.  Which might get here by say... Christmas... If  at all?

Thanks!

Brian

16-7-2015 21:23:56  #8

Good luck! You were smart to have a back up plan!

17-7-2015 05:35:16  #9

What a nightmare! Shipping within the EU is much faster. I ordered some ribbon from Portugal and it arrived in the UK 24 hours later!

Last edited by malole (17-7-2015 05:35:31)

17-7-2015 08:02:11  #10

Spazmelda wrote:

Good luck! You were smart to have a back up plan!

Thanks.  Unfortunately, after I re-inked the ribbon, "Hermes the Messenger"  machine has a bizzarre problem.  Seems to randomly skip one space after the letter 'a'

Have 14 days to return it or maybe folks here can offer quick fix if a common or simple problem.

Will start a topic about it under "Repair."  : /

malole wrote:

What a nightmare! Shipping within the EU is much faster. I ordered some ribbon from Portugal and it arrived in the UK 24 hours later!

Think our Customs Dept. just waives things through from Canada to USA.  Los Angeles center is either more efficient, or maybe they don't bother with the small stuff.  Items from Japan or South Korea usually take about two weeks, three at the most.

England & EU have never been a problem.  First time for everything I guess. 

Gift might just not work out.  Disappointing, but it's the thought that counts. 

Board footera