You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17-7-2015 08:19:40  #1

Another Hermes: Model 2000 Skips Space after Letter "a"

Hi everyone,

Got a nice Hermes 2000 & loved the feel of it, but after re-inking ribbon, machine has a bizarre problem.

As header implies, it seems to randomly skip or "jump" one space after typing the letter "a"

Doesn't do it all the time, and doesn't do it at any one particular place.

I hjave 14 days to return it, so hoping maybe a known issue & simple "quick fix"  (I should be so lucky  )

Example: 

Now is the time for all good men to come to the a ide of their country anima ls  animals a nimals alwa ys  always.

It's intermittant so I'm stumped.

Suggestions weclome!

Brian

17-7-2015 08:25:25  #2

Re: Another Hermes: Model 2000 Skips Space after Letter "a"

First thing I'd do is give the linkages for the 'a' key a good clean, blow out dust and clean up with your chosen stuff. I haven't come across this kind of problem myself, but it won't hurt to clean anyway, and if you decide to return it, well, they can't complain at its new shiny status!

17-7-2015 08:39:16  #3

malole wrote:

First thing I'd do is give the linkages for the 'a' key a good clean, blow out dust and clean up with your chosen stuff. I haven't come across this kind of problem myself, but it won't hurt to clean anyway, and if you decide to return it, well, they can't complain at its new shiny status!

It's immaculate.  No dust bunnies or anything.  Happened to think of this.  Don't know if that will help everyone troubleshoot or not.

At first, I didn't know what letter was culprit, so typed string of letters across page.

Example:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

cccccccccccccccccccccccccc

& so on.

No random spaces.

Next step, trusty "Now is time for all good men..." phrase.

It's that dog-gone letter 'a'

The bottom doesn't look bent or anything.

Either it's linkage in behind there, or me "hunting & pecking" and inconsistent pressure?

What's weird though is it *will* do a string of the same letter.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Odd, so I'm going to give it a rest & have some breakfast.  ; )

Thanks for reply!

17-7-2015 08:44:04  #4

Curiouser and curiouser. Might be your typing style - what about trying some asdf aqa etc using the same typing technique as you did for the aaaaaaa and see how that alters things?

17-7-2015 11:16:08  #5

malole wrote:

Curiouser and curiouser. Might be your typing style - what about trying some asdf aqa etc using the same typing technique as you did for the aaaaaaa and see how that alters things?

Since typewriter is gift for lightning touch typist I'm hoping it is just me, but I have to decide...

Message seller or hope someone here can figure it out.  Typed a sample before reading your post.  Tried asdfg,  aqa, alsk, etc.  Worked.

Below are some photos if helps anyone spot anything I don't know what to look for.

The random space seems to happen when I try to go fast and tend to "pound" the keys.

This part goes to letter 'a' but doesn't look bent or anything.  I really don't know what I'm looking at-- only hoping to spot anything that looks different or out of place.

Another shot where I assume it's linked to key

Finally, this part seems to be what controls carriage moving to left as type. 

Looks like adjustable bolt with lock nut articulates with black lever part.  If I mess with this, am guessing that could dork everything up?  Have to be careful not to make it *worse* or can't return it of course. 

Prefer not to do that since nice little machine and of course I'm probably out around $50 return shipping.  

Crossing my fingers

Last edited by BrianE (17-7-2015 11:20:19)

17-7-2015 11:25:15  #6

I wish I could help.  I did find this by googling 'typewriter skips on particular letters': https://www.reddit.com/r/typewriters/comments/32h937/carriage_skipping_problem_need_help/

17-7-2015 13:04:47  #7

That typing sample looks very promising. I think the fact that you were able to type a sentence with no skipping just by changing your style, means that it is a typewriter that doesn't want to go too fast. Some are just like that. But also, sometimes people had their typewriter adjusted to their own typing style. So if this once belonged to a typist with a very regular steady pace, then that might be your answer. Looks super clean in there, I see what you mean about no dust!

17-7-2015 13:08:13  #8

Sometimes, actually most of the time, it just needs to be used. I have had almost all of my typewriters in almost non working condition where the carriage was barely moving when I typed. It was all fixed by typing on them daily.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

17-7-2015 14:51:35  #9

Thanks everyone.

I've been working on it so I can either message seller to return, or give feedback.

Good news & bad news.

Nothing I seemed to do worked. Spazmelda's link had me wondering about gears, but random. Malole's suggestion about slow seemed promising, but even slow would skip every now & then. So hang it & type away per Typewriter guy. No dice.

Long story short. Removed rear panel & four carriage rail screws to have a better look at the gears.

Heard a "clink" -- uh oh... More to removing carriage than just 4 screws. Put it back!

Did that & now it types fine! Yay!  Beginners luck! 

Only now the bell doesn't work. 

Kind of embarrassing but also satisfying.  No idea what I did but hopefully silent bell will be easier to fix than random letter 'a' skipping.  (Google search turned up a few repair hits but all missing keyword 'bell.')

One step forward - one back. ; )

<sigh>

Ideas on the bell now?

Last edited by BrianE (17-7-2015 14:56:13)

17-7-2015 15:16:07  #10

A strange one! Good to hear it's typing well now. Maybe the clink was the bell trigger getting disengaged when you took the panel off the back? Your bell is going to be either not triggering, or the hammer of the bell not contacting the bell. Can you see what kind of bell problem it is?
I have a typewriter that doesn't have a bell at all as part of the depression era design. You get used to it after a while.
[edit] found the bell repair video I saw last year for a royal, but it might help you a bit :

Last edited by malole (17-7-2015 15:18:49)

Board footera