You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18-7-2015 21:18:31  #1

Should I do this?

After thinking about it for weeks, I can't just let the carriage of my Oliver #5 just sit there rusted. Should I soak the entire carriage in rust remover? I know I should remove the platen, but the set screws are rusted so I can't remove anything. I tried spray rust remover, but nothing is working. I don't want to leave it in a nonfunctional condition, but I'm running out of option to do.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

18-7-2015 21:43:44  #2

Re: Should I do this?

Oooh, I just think that will ruin the platen completely. Are you planning on having it recovered? I'd think it would even be bad for the inner parts of the platen.  Are they made of wood?  Sorry, I'm not familiar with Olivers.

My husband picked up a screwdriver that got out a screw that nothing else worked on.  Let me see if I can figure out what it's called.  http://t.harborfreight.com/t-handle-ratchet-screwdriver-96560.html

Last edited by Spazmelda (18-7-2015 21:45:51)

18-7-2015 23:29:59  #3

I was thinking of Speed-Out (as seen on TV).  An attachment for a drill that is supposed to get any screw out.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

19-7-2015 07:28:41  #4

Is the paint still there? If it is, I wouldnt soak it. The rust can also (Surface rust at least) can be removed with tinfoil. 

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

19-7-2015 09:00:20  #5

I'd be patient before doing anything so drastic.  Concentrate on those screws; investigate other rust treatments, and remember, at the end of the day, they could be drilled out and replaced.  Patience, research and careful experiment is all.

Sincerely,
beak.

19-7-2015 15:35:16  #6

Even some penetrating oil on the screws, left overnight, could make all the difference.

19-7-2015 17:12:22  #7

KatLondon is correct !  Soak the platen screws with penetrating oil.  Remove as much rust from the screw slots with a small wire brush, screwdriver blade etc. as you can.  Find a screwdriver that is an exact and tight fit in the slot.  Place the screwdriver centrally in the slot and then hit the end of the screwdriver handle smartly with a small hammer (don't bash it, just give it a quick, sharp rap - once)  Try turning the screwdriver.  The penetrating oil plus the shock applied with the hammer may well jar the rusted screw threads loose.  If this doesn't work, you can sometimes loosen rusted threads using heat, locally applied.  But you do have to be very careful not to burn any surrounding parts/paintwork !

19-7-2015 19:09:25  #8

Hmm... I knew that was a bad idea. I'l try letting it soak over night again and try to remove the surface rust.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

Board footera