You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13-8-2015 22:17:54  #1

New to me Studio 44

I just picked up one of these in really nice cosmetic condition -- case (with the key!) also really nice, and the manual and a brush are included.  Typing action is very stiff -- I have picked up from comments here and elsewhere that the feel of this machine is maybe an acquired taste, but I'd like to think I can get used to it.  And I do think that things are gummed up from lack of use, so I don't have the true feel of the machine's typing at this point. 

However, brushing some naphtha (my non-damaging solvent of choice, also known as lighter fluid) on the segment seems to have made the q and a keys, very stiff to begin with, almost unusable.  The typebars, especially the q, simply will not hit the platen.  The other keys, including the far righthand side of the keyboard, are fine.

It may be that the solvent has maybe made things worse, and I'll need to apply more.  But this is disconcerting, certainly.  Anyone else have this problem, either with a Studio 44 or another machine?  Nothing appears bent or misaligned -- and the q did type before I applied the solvent, so my hope is that it'll be better once the naphtha has evaporated. 

Another observation: The paper supports seem to be a joke -- while they will readily swing up into place, nothing holds them there, and just using the line spacing lever (i.e. carriage return) causes them to flop back down.  Again, I can't see that anything has been bent out of alignment.

Thanks for any advice.

14-8-2015 02:02:54  #2

Re: New to me Studio 44

Yes, I've had this happen when cleaning sections (meths).  I believe that grime has been turned into a paste and has flowed downwards to gum up the works more than before, and yes, continuing to flush will usually clear it, IME.  The tolerances between section slots and typebars is very fine, I believe, and even an invisible accumulation of gunk can cause sticking.  Just keep going for now.

Sincerely,
beak.

14-8-2015 06:26:09  #3

Thanks, I will do so.

14-8-2015 08:20:12  #4

I have found it helpful with the odd reluctant typebar to raise it gently by hand, apply meths to either side of it, and gently work it up and down several times.

I think it's a mistake ever to try to remove gunk from the slots with anything metal (such as a nail-file).  Though a wooden toothpick might be used in ferociously stubborn cases - just be sure not to leave fragments of wood, or anything else, in the slots.

Sincerely,
beak.

14-8-2015 14:38:27  #5

As long as you know what you are doing, a metal tool is OK.  The typewriter trade use(d) a tool called a segment pick which you used to be able to buy.  Many typewriter men made their own by grinding down an old typebar and fitting a wooden handle.  I still use the one I made when I was an apprentice - a secondhand Imperial typebar ground down and stuck into a section of wooden cleaning brush handle with epoxy resin.  It is used to carefully scrape the sides of the typebar slot from bottom to top, hooking out the accumulated dirt.

14-8-2015 18:39:19  #6

Sure, I guess an experienced professional could do that without making things worse by widening the slot or otherwise damaging it.  But, not being one, I'd be wary of doing it.

Last edited by beak (14-8-2015 18:39:46)

Sincerely,
beak.

14-8-2015 21:34:44  #7

Have applied more naphtha to the segment, and things are coming around -- maybe another application and all will be good.  I started to feel some of the "bounce" that a reviewer on the typosphere (I forget who) had mentioned -- the typebars would need to be totally fluid in order to get that feeling, so it's coming along.

Whether the typing feel is ultimately something I'd prefer to other machines is as yet to be determined, but for sure this is a very well made machine.  (Mine's a Barcelona model, 374xxx -- not sure what year that would be, since I know the serial numbering on these is confusing, but early 60s, I guess.)

14-8-2015 23:33:29  #8

I do think patience and repetative cleaning ( and regular use of the machine) will bring things right, or at least to the best state that can be achieved without a professional repair.  Keep at it.

Sincerely,
beak.

16-8-2015 21:00:07  #9

I had the same issue with a machine I acquired recently... Type bars were working, but sluggish, so I applied generous amounts of solvent with a fat artist's brush. Seemed to fix things but the next day many of the type bars were seized up. After several tries at this -- with the same result -- I used a medical syringe to force solvent into the segment -- success at last! I think the solvent initially acts as a lubricant but if the segment isn't thoroughly cleaned the problem returns once the solvent evaporates. I have used super fine grit paper in the segment on one or two machines to get type bars moving when it looked like the issue might have been complicated with rust... And then made sure the segment was thoroughly flushed out with solvent.

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the typewriter."

02-9-2015 06:53:40  #10

Last night I came across this.  It seems to describe exactly the problem I was having with my 44 when I first got it: http://typewriterheaven.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/studio-44-unstuck.html

I think mine is now OK, but I will examine it when I am back home and see if this bar is reachable.

Board footera