You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17-8-2015 08:15:04  #1

My new Royal Quiet Deluxe

New to me at least. I'm looking forward to getting it to see just how much cleaning and tinkering it is going to take to get it working like the day it was first sold. That's half the fun. Who wants to buy a clean, ready to use machine anyway? Not me

Last edited by Uwe (17-8-2015 12:15:22)

Pleased to meet you. Call me Nathan.

17-8-2015 10:10:51  #2

Re: My new Royal Quiet Deluxe

Congrats. Looks like it should scrub up nicely!

17-8-2015 12:30:29  #3

I'm excited to see the after pictures.  I love a good typewriter transformation!

18-8-2015 19:47:45  #4

I share your joy -- I just came across a QDL of this vintage today, at the antique/junk store across the street from where we stay in Maine.  Very stoked -- I'll go buy it in the morning.  He's asking $20. Somewhat more worn than yours; the crackle paint on the ribbon cover is worn where the line spacing/carriage return lever has hit it over the years.  (Maybe there's something I can tighten up to stop this in the future?) And the case is missing one of the hinge pins (but seems to hold together OK).  But the mechanicals all seem to work fine, though it needs a ribbon to test it out to be sure.

20-8-2015 22:39:41  #5

An update (and I apologize for hijacking the thread!) -- the QDL seems to work fine, with the exception that the backspace needs a little help to pop all the way back to top position, so it won't work without assistance for doing multiple backspaces at once.  A minor issue.  Interestingly, the capitals and all characters in the shifted position line up horizontally just slightly below the lower case characters.  Noticeable, but I can live with that easily.  If there's a simple adjustment, I am interested to hear it. 

Lots of dust and eraser bits -- not sure how to get at the latter, especially, but neither seems to create problems.  It's a 1947 production machine, so one of the last of the original body style.  The serial number is really neat -- A-1433000!

Overall, a really nice typewriter, no doubt made right here in Hartford.  I love the typeface and the action.  Oh, and in the case were not one but two of the small Royal cleaning brushes.

21-8-2015 03:01:01  #6

Fleetwing: regarding alignment of upper and lower case letters, this might be of help:

http://munk.org/typecast/2013/07/30/typewriter-repair-101-adjusting-vertical-typeface-alignment-segmentbasket-shift-typewriters/

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the typewriter."

21-8-2015 06:39:36  #7

Thanks!  And that looks like I might even be competent to do it!  I will check out my QDL and see.

UPDATE: Done! Those instructions were great.Thanks so much for the link. It took me a total of six tries. I fortunately had a set with a 5.5mm socket and nut driver, and a good screwdriver of the right size.  Finding a socket of that size would be a little hard, but a good tool store (Sears comes to mind first here in the USA) might have one. 

It's just about dead on now -- if I look closely I can see room for improvement perhaps, but we are good enough.  By the way, my capitals were below the level of the lower case; you need to tighten the adjustment screws (i.e. clockwise) to raise them to the right level. That was counterintuitive for me.

Last edited by Fleetwing (21-8-2015 21:23:18)

22-8-2015 01:58:50  #8

That is good news, I'm glad you were able to fix it!

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the typewriter."

31-8-2015 09:47:17  #9

It arrived today and was as filthy as the eBay pictures. It seems to be all there. I have given the case a bit of a clean and will post some after pictures in a few days time.

Last edited by NDW76 (31-8-2015 09:48:20)

31-8-2015 18:43:28  #10

Some more photos of the work that needs to be done on rhe guts of the machine.

Board footera