You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

31-8-2015 18:45:25  #11

Re: My new Royal Quiet Deluxe

How the outside looks now.

Pleased to meet you. Call me Nathan.

31-8-2015 20:17:35  #12

Very pretty!  (Where does that USB cable attach? ) Looks like a 1947, based on the serial number (if memory serves from TWDB). 

I see the rust on the levers behind the typebars and on the segment -- does that interfere with the typing action? Others here can speak with more authority than I can about what to use to get at that.  And the green corrosion is not pretty either, but maybe that can be scraped away.  I know that white vinegar helps in removing that, but I would be leery about getting that into the innards of a typewriter, given its water content.  If you can apply it sparingly with a cotton swab and are careful to wipe it off, you may be OK.  Good luck -- I am very pleased with mine.

Last edited by Fleetwing (31-8-2015 20:19:42)

06-3-2016 18:39:56  #13

Looks like you've got your work cut out in getting that rust off those key levers under the front cover.  I guess it's the end result of the machine residing along the eastern seaboard with all the salt in the air.  Some people say Coca Cola can remove rust.  I haven't tried it, but I do know that I used to remove rust from certain refrigeration parts with diluted muriatic acid.  I guess it could work, since Colas have carbolic acid as an ingredient.  I have an Underwood 150 I'm working on, and I think I might try it.  I'll have to get back to you and let you know if it works.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

11-3-2016 18:23:03  #14

Well, I tried cola, and yes, it does remove rust.  But you'll want to use diet coke, since the sugary kind gets sticky, and you don't want sticky in your typewriter, not at all.  It'd be hard gettin' that stuff outta there!!

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

15-4-2016 22:13:49  #15

I lived in coastal Maine for about a dozen years and that salt air rust got into everything -- especially typewriters. Even 20 miles from the coast salt spray would show up on my windshield after storms.
If I still lived in that environment, I'd consider vacuum bag sealing with silica gel anything rustable that I was keeping in long-term storage.
I'm up in the Rockies now and it's very dry. A 1939 QDL I picked up locally looks practically new, at least compared to the corrosion in the above photos. Not bad for 77 years.

16-4-2016 10:47:42  #16

Rust is quite common in my area as well, but not for the same reason.

It seems that most of the typewriters around here relegated to long term storage were kept in basements, and given the age of the average (original) typewriter owner, and age of that owner's house, those basements are often very damp places, which makes a perfect environment for rust and mold to take hold of a machine.

Rust is one thing, but mold, which is perhaps even more common, can be potent stuff. I've had machines that smelled so strong that it threatened to cause an evacuation of the entire neighbourhood, and it seemed that no amount of cleaning would exorcise its mildewy musk. A faint hint of mold can be quaint, some equate it to the smell of something old, the particular pungency of a vintage item, and they actually like it. But when that fragrance reaches industrial strength, when it makes your eyes water and your throat gag, it's no fun.

I've tried many techniques for killing that smell (and the mold that is responsible for it), and most are ineffective at best. The first and easiest thing that should always be done is to throw out the ribbon; it's usually the first place mold grows and sometimes so bad that the eyelet on the end resembles a wet Life Saver that was dropped in a jar of lint. Giving the typewriter a day at the beach with lots of fresh air and a sun to bask under is one technique, but it takes far too long, and I don't like exposing all of those already fragile rubber components and aged paint to direct sunlight. The cleaning product that I use on on typewriters helps, but only a little. More recently I've resorted to bringing in the big guns, and now use a special mold killing product to saturate the places that mold likes to cling to such as the sound dampening felts that often line a typewriter case. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-4-2016 16:05:53  #17

Not sure how harmful it could be (either the product or its propellant) to things such as paint or plastics, but for car air conditioning units that have developed mold, I have used Lysol spray.  

For the A/C units, I take out enough of the dash or the area around it such that I can spray the disinfectant into the A/C intake area.  I usually can't see the A/C core but the flow of air takes the Lysol there.  

The application is usually good for a year.  Where I live, it's hot only for a few weeks in the summer and that's when the A/C is used.  Over the fall, winter and spring, mold can often take hold again and I have to do it again (sometimes, the treatment lasts 2 years).  

My cheap solution costs me about 1/2 hour of my time plus part of a $6 can of Lysol (you don't need to spray the entire can for 1 treatment).  They make a few different scents; I prefer "Crisp Linen".  My car dealer wants $150 for the same type of treatment.

Note:  I don't know how safe this is for typewriter parts.  For A/C units it's mostly plastic and so I haven't noticed any deterioration but maybe it discolors it.  For felt linings or maybe the inside of the case, this could be a viable solution.

16-4-2016 16:26:10  #18

Lysol was one of the first products I tried, and typewriter mold just seemed to shrug it off. It would cover the scent for a little while, but it would always come back. I now use Concrobium Mold Control spray that "kills and prevents mold, wherever it takes hold." Even with such a specific product it takes a liberal application to get rid of the funky aroma that could level Tacoma. You really have to get it on every surface too if you want it to work.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

14-5-2016 19:09:16  #19

Paint on good old-fashioned Naval Jelly (basically the same phosphoric acid in the coke -- just more it) and let it do its thing, rinse and repeat.  Then, of course, put on a VERY thin layer of sewing machine oil or something else protective against future rusting.

15-5-2016 07:45:17  #20

TypewriterKing wrote:

Looks like you've got your work cut out in getting that rust off those key levers under the front cover.  I guess it's the end result of the machine residing along the eastern seaboard with all the salt in the air.  Some people say Coca Cola can remove rust.  I haven't tried it, but I do know that I used to remove rust from certain refrigeration parts with diluted muriatic acid.  I guess it could work, since Colas have carbolic acid as an ingredient.  I have an Underwood 150 I'm working on, and I think I might try it.  I'll have to get back to you and let you know if it works.

The US Navy had (and probably still has) a kind of generic Kool-Aid powdered drink affectionately known as bug juice. Alternative use: soaking metal parts. It would get brass bright and shiny without the need for of that arduous rubbing. I'm a fan of sour gummy candy but I don't eat it very often: the combination of sugar and acid could not have been better formulated to dissolve teeth.  But this gives me an idea... mash it up with enough additional water to make a paste - home made naval jelly. Worth a shot!

Regarding funky odors: I've had good luck with Febreze. I set up a small fan blowing into the typewriter and I spray Febreze into the air stream. Machines that seem to have been stored in a damp crawl space for the last twenty years may need several applications. Will not kill mold but is effective on odors, and moving air dries the machine out quickly.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

Board footera