You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03-9-2015 07:38:53  #1

Royal Quiet De Luxe - Shift Issue

Mt new RQD had a shifting problem. When I pressed the shift key the mechanism would get stuck somewhere. It would shift, but the shift action was rather clunky. After a lot of searching I found this little switch. I have circled it in red so you can see where. If the switch is in the closed position the shift mechanism is clunky. It seems like it was meant to prevent shifting. In the open position everything works fine.

If the typewriter is facing you the switch is on the right on the underside. Im just wondering if others have had this problem. Also, why would a typewriter have a switch to prevent shifting? Is it for travel or is there some other reason I haven't thought of?

Last edited by NDW76 (03-9-2015 08:33:24)

Pleased to meet you. Call me Nathan.

03-9-2015 08:24:14  #2

Re: Royal Quiet De Luxe - Shift Issue

I am away from home so will need to check mine for this switch when I return.  But from your pictures, it looks like it's on the right side -- ?

03-9-2015 08:34:10  #3

Just fixed that
I meant my other right. It's been a long day.

03-9-2015 09:29:45  #4

Not seen one of these, so just blathering here:  If this is carriage - shifted, perhaps it's for transport; to stop the carriage moving up and down?

Sincerely,
beak.

03-9-2015 09:44:53  #5

What year is your QDL?  I've got a '47ish one, and I've just turned it up and spent some time peering at the shift mechanisms on the right side.  I don't see anything that is acting as a switch.  I have a lever that gets pushed on by the shift key mechanisms, but nothing that I can push or switch and have it stay in place. I guess I'm not sure exactly which little bit in the picture is acting like a switch.

03-9-2015 17:38:03  #6

When asking about a model that spanned many generations, it's always best to specify the year of the machine in question - or add a photo of it so everyone knows which Quiet De Luxe is being discussed.

It's possible that the part in question is not a switch but an interlock that prevents the type basket (it's not a carriage shift Beak) from flopping around when the machine is mounted inside its travel case. The latch inside the travel case should be in that area and perhaps it presses against that bar (what you call a switch) to prevent the shift mechanism from moving. A quick way to test this would be to try using the shift with those case latches locking the typewriter in place. 

If that is what's it's for, then it sounds like yours isn't moving freely and is interfering with the proper shift operation. It should be spring controlled, so verify if the spring is there and that it snaps the lever back to repose on its own. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

05-9-2015 07:40:01  #7

The model in question is a 1946-1947. The thing that I thought was a switch could better be described as a cam. It is actuated by the shift key. It moves a locking mechanism out of the way so that the basket can descend. This lock prevents the basket from descending with out the shift key being depressed.

This cam can lock to the rear, but that is only a temporary solution as it clicks back into place after two presses of the shift key.

My thinking at the moment is that this could be resolved be adjustment of the type alignment screws that get capitals and lower case letters to align.

05-9-2015 23:08:43  #8

Well I Gabe it a good cleaning with white spirits and adjusted the shift screws and now everything works great. Now I just have to get used to a back space key on the left.

06-9-2015 05:29:19  #9

Congrats!  The slightly different keyboard layouts between varous machines always throws me for a loop.

26-7-2016 21:08:31  #10

Thank you so much for posting this info!

My issue: [youtubeDotCom]/watch?v=sHaUG_Lb3JQ

** SOLVED **. There's a mechanism on the bottom right part of the machine that locks the basket for transport. It is normally pushed out of the way by a L shaped piece attached to the shift key. That L shaped piece was bent upwards ever so slightly. I added a 1mm plastic spacer between the L piece and the mechanism and viola, smooth shift. Thanks to: typewriter.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=1095

Board footera