You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-9-2015 08:20:20  #1

Royal No 10 desktop - types CAPS all the time

Everything else seems to work very nicely.

Except the shift key is always in the down position which makes it type caps all the time.

The spring seems to be missing or ?? underneath. I can see the post - it looks like a screw post and I wonder if I would tighten the screw underneath it ...??

Any help would be great. thanks.

Ciao!
Brian S
"Life in itself is simple, we choose the complexities in how we live it", me

04-9-2015 15:46:21  #2

Re: Royal No 10 desktop - types CAPS all the time

Is it a carriage or segment shift model that you have? Was the machine stored for a long time? Is there evidence of rust on the machine? I've found it's fairly common for older standards that have sat unusded for many, many years to have seized components including the shift mechanism. If it only type uppercase letters than the segment (or carriage) is most seized in the shifted position. Can you move the shift key up and down on its own (I'm assuming of course that the shift lock isn't engaged)?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

04-9-2015 16:00:30  #3

no I can.t That's what I mean.

I found a missing spring on the left side, underneath.

when aI turn it upright the shift key just flops down and the bank of keys drops down along with it.
It needs a spring to hold it up.

Ciao!
Brian S

04-9-2015 16:11:57  #4

Ah, okay that makes more sense now. And I assume by "bank of keys" you mean the segment/type basket? I think on that particular model there are TWO very large springs, one on either side of the machine, that run from the back of the typewriter frame to the shift linkage. If they're missing it certainly won't work, and it's very possible that only one wouldn't be strong enough to pull the segment into place.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

04-9-2015 21:56:28  #5

Yes, that's it!

I'm hoping to get something close enough at my local hardware store

Ciao!
Brian S

Board footera