You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-9-2015 15:45:48  #1

Hermes Ambassador typeface question

Today's new Hermes Ambassador is from 1975 and has a faded plastic cover and plenty of rust.  The type bars are very stiff, the drawband is broken and there is no way it is going to type without quite a lot of time and effort being put in.  I am not sure if it has a typeface which is different from the one I already have.  If anybody recognises the markings on the type slugs and can post a type sample for the black and white photo typeface I should be very interested to see it.  The picture with the red ink is from my working 1969 Hermes Ambassador.

07-9-2015 22:13:54  #2

Re: Hermes Ambassador typeface question

I'm not sure that I understand what you're after. Are you asking us to compare the typefaces used by two different Hermes Ambassador models that you own? I recognize the markings on both sets of slugs, but if you want a direct comparison (something you should be able to do on your own with the machines sittling side-by-side) it would help to post photos of the same set of characters. At the moment I'd say they have two different typefaces, 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

08-9-2015 02:47:47  #3

I think the working typewriter has Director Elite typeface; I presume that is what the letters "DE" on the slugs stand for.  This one types twelve characters to the inch.  The new typewriter has a 2.5mm escapement so would type pica if it was got working again.  I do not know what the letters "MoI" on the new type slugs stand for - would that be the name of a typeface, if so which?  I should be interested in seeing a typing sample produced by the "MoI" type slugs.  There are slight differences apparent when looking at the type slugs (top of figure 5 has a curve, dipping in the centre, of its horizontal top bar, figure 2 has a corresponding mirror image upward curve on its bottom horizontal bar and some of the serifs on the upper case letters appear to have a wider flare).  I am unable to visualise whether a typewritten page would be pleasing to the eye from simply looking at the type slugs.  Having this information would be helpful in deciding whether to bother returning this machine to working order.

08-9-2015 10:10:55  #4

Surely if your old one is elite it would be fun to have a pica one?

And equally surely, you could always hold some paper over the slugs and make a print by running a pencil or chalk over it, so you could compare the two?

If you got the new one cleaned up you could sell it...

08-9-2015 10:12:55  #5

Also: a paintbrush, some meths and five minutes would probably get the keys moving at least a bit...

08-9-2015 12:22:17  #6

What Kat said.  And in the meantime, can you give us pictures of more of the typeslugs?

09-9-2015 03:44:39  #7

More type slug pictures to enjoy!

There is surface rust on the new type slugs.  Any advice on how best to deal with this will be appreciated. Thank you.

09-9-2015 07:50:13  #8

The MoI looks slightly different -- note the F and the 5.  Worth seeing how it looks on paper!

There are rust removal products on the market; others here can give you the names.  I'd say use them in moderation, and try rubbing with a soft cloth.

10-9-2015 09:21:10  #9

I'm literally confused. Steve, you could have looked at those photos you posted up - or at the originals - and seen for yourself that they're different.

I know there are those on this forum who get into things like the letters you are quoting, and for whom it's meaningful information, but you are asking if the typefaces are different. Well, they are. I recommend that you just have some fun with it - go into an automotive shop, ask for some rust removal stuff, and apply it carefully to your rusted type slugs. Then use some methylated spirits and a paintbrush on the type segment to free it up enough to do some rudimentary typing, and see what you've got! 

If all else fails, where are you in the UK? If I can get creative with my available space I'd love to have a go with an Ambassador. Love a Hermes, me.

PS: Just scrolled to the top and seen the bit about the drawband. Well, it looks like a project machine to be sure. I think the real question is less about the minutiae of the typeface and more about whether you have the heart for a big project... if you do, just go for it - it'll be great, and you can always sell the machine. 

Last edited by KatLondon (10-9-2015 09:23:17)

10-9-2015 16:42:58  #10

Yeah! I see what you mean Kat - careful inspection and they're obviously different.  I suppose what I hoped for was that someone would recognise the type slugs and post a sample of text. . .
Being reluctant to consign something salvageable to landfill I've got stuck into it.  The sticking type bars need sorting first, after which I shall move onto the non-functioning line advance which doesn't move when the carriage return is operated.  Then there's the siezed clutch on the governor which gives controlled carriage advance when the tab function is use but should allow the enthusiatic typist to 'throw' the carriage at high speed between lines (this one is on all the time at the moment).
I'm in Devon. You're welcome to put an Ambassador through its paces at some stage.  I've got more than one so would be happy to consider a sale if you're interested.

Board footera