You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26-4-2013 21:57:21  #1

What would you pay for this?

I've tracked down an UNUSED Olympia SM3, 'brand new' - the ribbon has never even been inserted!  Now, this is a machine on my target list, but I'm not sure how much to pay.

What do you think?

Sincerely,
beak.

27-4-2013 00:30:15  #2

Re: What would you pay for this?

No more than $150, in my mind.

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

27-4-2013 01:22:12  #3

Shangas wrote:

No more than $150, in my mind.

Interesting.  Do you like this machine?  It seems to be one of those highly praised by users (as different to collectors) because of it's action, and I do want it for use, principally.

I guess I'm going through the process of examining various machines to find the one machine that I can be happy with, and that will cover all of my typing needs.  Perhaps, like other areas - fountain pens and so on - this is a hopeless task!

Sincerely,
beak.

27-4-2013 08:26:35  #4

I've never used a portable Olympia. I have on occasion used a desktop one, though. But from what I hear, they're great postwar German machines. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

27-4-2013 12:03:35  #5

The SM3 is regarded as a high quality machine, as German machines usually are. Since it's unused, it should in theory be worth more, if it's still in like-new condition. It has, after all, been stored for over 50 years, so anything could have happened to it, even if it is unused.

Price is always subjective and represents what the buyer was willing to pay and the seller was willing to take. I checked recent sales on ebay and I found 14 nice, working SM3's that have sold for less that $100 (some as little as $45 including shipping) since February. I also found a few in rarer colors (burgundy, for example) that sold for about $200-225. Script machines usually bring a litte more than
Roman or Gothic machines.

If it truly is in like-new, unmolested, unused condition, and not needing cleaning/oiling/maintenance,  then somewhere in that range would be a suggestion.

Of course, my comparison applies to the US. I'm not sure what country you are in, Beak. Prices where you are may vary.

Clark

27-4-2013 17:51:36  #6

beak wrote:

I've tracked down an UNUSED Olympia SM3, 'brand new' - the ribbon has never even been inserted!  Now, this is a machine on my target list, but I'm not sure how much to pay.

What do you think?

I have an SM3 and can confirm that it is one of the nicest machines to type with. Is it possible for you to try this one before you buy it? I purchased an Underwood Universal last year that was unused, and the action was hard, stiff and 'clunky', compared to another Underwood Universal I have (same year - 1940) that was WELL used when I bought it (beat up, so to speak) and has a very smooth, light action (presumably due from years of heavy use) . So I think sometimes 'unused' can be a two-edged sword. 

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the typewriter."

Board footera