You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

16-9-2015 21:26:22  #1

My first typewriter!

A 1941 Underwood Champion
Elliott Fisher
Made in Toronto Ontario Canada

SN:  1436449

17-9-2015 04:53:20  #2

Re: My first typewriter!

OooooO sparkly! Nice first typer!

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

17-9-2015 09:58:32  #3

Thanks TypewriterGuy.

I got it at a fair price too.
$40.    No case but it had a cover.

17-9-2015 11:43:15  #4

A very nice machine both in appearance and performance. Yours looks to be a first generation model with the 'sealed action frame'. If my memory is right, Valiant learned to type on the second generation of this model, which is a far more glamerous history than mine; I can't remember what I learned on, but in the fog I do catch distorted glimpses of a black Selectric.

I've got a 1941 model as well and it always impresses me when I use it:

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

17-9-2015 12:19:37  #5

Uwe is correct, I learned to type on the Underwood Universal in the late 1960s. It was very similar to the Champion. The model I learned to type with was nearly identical to the one pictured here. Due to the familiar feel of the keys, action and features of this typewriter it remains one of my favourites.

BTW I still have a typescript from that machine: a teleplay I wrote in grade seven for the tv series The Man from Uncle entitled 'The Amazon Affair'. 😄

Last edited by Valiant (17-9-2015 13:20:17)

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the typewriter."

17-9-2015 13:45:30  #6

Valiant wrote:

I still have a typescript from that machine: a teleplay I wrote in grade seven for the tv series The Man from Uncle entitled 'The Amazon Affair'.

Now that is very cool! And something I'd love to read. At the very least, given that the film of the series was just released, a small type sample would seem appropriate... 

I just looked at my Universal from that period. Do you recall if the one you learned on had the green control keys, or black ones as in your photo?  

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

17-9-2015 17:20:48  #7

Uwe
Your 1941 is in beautiful condition.

I remember learning to type on a Brother portable. I loved that machine. It was early 70s and I cannot remember the model. I remember the colour was blue with a blue zippered case. This is why I remember it as a Brother portable. As soon as I recall model I will make it a goal to get one again.
I regret ever getting rid of it. Young and wrong.

17-9-2015 22:19:49  #8

theoldman wrote:

I remember learning to type on a Brother portable... I cannot remember the model.

The good news is that Brother models are everywhere, and they're cheap (to buy). The bad news is that most of them were available in blue. A few details will help narrow down the model:
1. Do you recall if it had black or white keys?
2. Did it have a tabulator?
3. Where there any distinguishing features about the typewriter case, like a fake wood grain panel above the keyboard?

17-9-2015 22:21:19  #9

theoldman wrote:

Uwe
Your 1941 is in beautiful condition.

I remember learning to type on a Brother portable. I loved that machine. It was early 70s and I cannot remember the model. I remember the colour was blue with a blue zippered case. This is why I remember it as a Brother portable. As soon as I recall model I will make it a goal to get one again.
I regret ever getting rid of it. Young and wrong.

Maybe like this one? https://hartford.craigslist.org/clt/5224639370.html

18-9-2015 12:51:23  #10

It is a very strong possibility Fleetwing.

The case and colour are a certainty. Time frame would be early 70's. That looks about right.

The size and colour of the typewriter is correct.

I wish that I could remember the model number.    I just don't remember seeing the wood grain look in the front!

Either way that typewriter in the link looks quite good. I have never purchased anything off of Craigslist before and I'm not sure if they would consider shipping to Canada.

Thanks for the link.

Board footera