You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

24-9-2015 07:54:02  #1

How do I find the model & value of an old Royal

serial # is X-1398599

Thanks for your help ! ! !

24-9-2015 11:01:41  #2

Re: How do I find the model & value of an old Royal

There are many factors that determine the "value" of any typewriter, including your location, its condition, rarity, colour, and its desirability to buyers. I'm not familiar with any Royal portable that has an X- prefix in the serial number, so I'm not sure which model you own; are you positive it's an X and not some other letter? In either case, you would have to know a great deal more about your typewriter before we could even begin to guess at what it might be worth in your area. A photo is always great (read the FAQ topic in the Type Talk sub-forum for instructions).

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

24-9-2015 11:36:17  #3

Thank YOU for your guidance - my location is OHIO - my best guess is the Royal is 1930 -ish - I just took a picture and enlarged the serial # and it is indeed an X - I see per the guidelines I will need to post a few more times and figure out the URL instructions before I can post the pictures.  Thanks again for you help

24-9-2015 15:22:05  #4

Does your typewriter have glass windows on the sides? If it does, then what you have is not a Royal portable, but a big standard Royal 10. The 'X' in the serial number means it's a 10 (makes sense because 'X' is the Roman numeral for 10). Your typewriter is probably from 1930, judging from the serial number. 

As for value... Royal 10's are usually desirable, but don't go for very much because they made a lot of them.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

24-9-2015 15:26:15  #5

Not worth very much, UNLESS its the earlier model with double glass sides, and in mint condition.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

24-9-2015 17:36:41  #6

Thank YOU for your help.  Yes it has the double glass sides.  I do not know how to judge the condition but in my opinion  it shows a little age but is in fine shape and works.

24-9-2015 20:03:44  #7

Ah, so it is a 10. Well don't go around teating it like a portable, you might throw your back out! Again, like Uwe said, pictures are extremely helpful in assessing the value and condition. So put those up when you get the chance.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

Board footera