You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

28-9-2015 14:27:37  #11

Re: Whats the strangest thing you have found in a typewriter?

On an Underwood Touch-Master 5 that I got back in February, there were the remains of spider eggs under the machine. I freaked out when I first saw it because I thought that I had brought a live spider egg into my room and thousands of tiny little spiders would infest the house. Luckily, it was old and not alive, but the damage was still done...

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

28-9-2015 14:42:36  #12

@ztyper I wonder what type of spiderthey were from...

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

28-9-2015 16:05:40  #13

The needle in the typewriter is perfectly explicable.  It was probably being used to pick the typeface when someone dropped it into the mechanism.  That's why it was still pointing downwards !  Mouse nests in typewriters - tell me about it !  I sometimes have to supply fully-working typewriters as film props, usually at very short notice.  This means that I cannot be too fussy about the condition of the machines that I buy in.  A couple of months ago, I had to buy an Imperial 58 that had been nested in by a mouse whilst in storage.  The problem is that mice urinate in their nests, and mouse urine is very corrosive.  Once cleaned out, I had to soak parts of the machine in penetrating oil for a week before I could get any movement at all.  Some linkeages were so badly rusted together that I had to remove them and get them up to a dull red heat to crack the rust in the joints.  I did make the machine type perfectly well in the end, but it was not a job I would want to do again in a hurry !

28-9-2015 16:43:14  #14

That would explain it! The needle! But dont the instructions say not to use metal needles?

Back from a long break.

28-9-2015 20:34:29  #15

Freja wrote:

I haven't found anything crazy in any of my typewriters (yet) but one of my typewriters still had a love letter on it. The letter was typed halfway through and never finished. 

Now there's a tragic image.

28-9-2015 22:49:07  #16

TypewriterGuy wrote:

That would explain it! The needle! But dont the instructions say not to use metal needles?

That's right, it's not smart to use sharp metal objects to scrape away at the type slugs. It was probably a collector who owned the machine prior to you, and as we all know now, collectors don't know anything about typewriter maintenance.

All kidding aside, I'm sure that many a typewriter owner was not aware of the basics of cleaning their machines, so it's not really a surprise that someone would use something like a needle.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

29-9-2015 04:59:33  #17

I used a pair of tweezers once a while ago to clean type faces. That was when I didnt know much. Now I use a wooden toothpick or the toothbrush method.

Back from a long break.

29-9-2015 08:38:32  #18

I have found a typewritten "Last will and testament". inside a old typewriter. That might be hard to top! I still have it.

29-9-2015 09:16:30  #19

That story about having to heat the parts to get them to move - wow. That's blacksmithing!

29-9-2015 16:45:48  #20

It's amazing the things you have to do sometimes.  In the last few months - 'blacksmithing', metal fabrication, panel-beating, woodworking (making dummy rubber feet for another film industry job), and yesterday - plastic welding with a soldering iron !

Board footera