You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

30-9-2015 15:14:40  #21

Re: Whats the strangest thing you have found in a typewriter?

Found a small glass bottle with a cork and a label that says 53 on it.... Inside of the remington portable I just got. It was wedjed in between some typebars.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

08-10-2015 21:04:35  #22

Maybe not so unusual, but it did take me by surprise -- in working on the KMM I got recently, I removed the vertical rear sheet metal cover for the tab set/clear assembly and the bell, and out came the carcass of a beetle, at least 1 inch long, from the bell.  I think this typewriter was stored somewhere subject to the elements, if not actually outside.

09-10-2015 06:31:01  #23

Oops, typewriterman, panel beating - that was the case of my old Baby, wasn't it...& a massive improvement it is!

TypewriterGuy, very mysterious! Just as long as it didn't say DRNK ME...

Last edited by KatLondon (09-10-2015 06:32:18)

09-10-2015 08:49:52  #24

Found a (What looks to be) Remington portable bakelite key. It has the leter V on it. It was in the mechanics of my 1911 Remington standard...

Back from a long break.

09-10-2015 16:15:07  #25

Yes Kat, that WAS your Hermes Baby carry case that I was panel-beating !  I did find several links of a gold chain inside an Imperial 66 last year.  I handed them back to the typewriter's owner, but she had no idea that they were there.  She had bought the machine from her employer, the National Health Service, for a peppercorn amount when they were disposing of their manual typewriters many years ago.  Perhaps she sold the gold links for scrap to get a discount on my servicing !

09-10-2015 18:56:54  #26

Fleetwing wrote:

and out came the carcass of a beetle, at least 1 inch long, from the bell.

When working on my IBM Selectric one day, I put my thumb under some of the foam to remove it, and when I lifted it up, there were at least five dead centipede carcasses all curled up. I freaked out and almost screamed because I thought for a moment they were alive.   They must have died because they got stuck to the foam...

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

09-10-2015 19:47:57  #27

I haven't found much of anything interesting. In the Hermes 3000 I found several 'nice' roach cases. They were on the table and my daughter came in a picked one up and started looking at it curiously.  "What are these?" she asked.  I told her they were roach cases.  "What the heck is a roach case?" bringing it up closer to her face for a better look.

"You know... where baby roaches come from."

She squealed, threw it down, and ran from the room.

Last edited by Spazmelda (09-10-2015 19:49:23)

12-10-2015 21:27:48  #28

A mud wasps' nest.

13-10-2015 05:08:43  #29

@Richard Same! ALthough not just one... Or two.... Not even small ones...

Oh, and I found an acorn wdged UNDEERNEATH the typebars

Back from a long break.

15-10-2015 14:23:28  #30

While cleaning a Selectric II that I found in a thrift store I found in the bottom pan a dried mushroom, which resembled the psilocybin variety I came to know in college three decades ago. The machine had a label identifying it as property of the local county government, so I theorized it came from the police department and perhaps some suspect had disposed of some incriminating evidence during booking by dropping it inside.
And no, I didn't perform an experiment to prove my hypothesis.

Board footera