You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-5-2013 11:27:50  #11

Re: Buying on line - what were they thinking!

Shangras,
Out of curiousity I weighed my 1927 Underwood No.3 and it came out right at 31 lbs on a pretty accurate antique scale.  I think there are some Standards that weight more and do wonder what the heaviest Standard is but probably not counting those with huge 30" carriages, etc.

It was NICKEL plateing used on typewriters prior to c.1930 and continuing somewhat after that with some makers.  Chrome plating (which is not the same as nickle; they are two different metals) was introduced commercially in 1926 on a few products.

I had sent a message to the seller of that ugly and painted all over Underwood No.3 but can't find a copy of their reply.  From reading what they say I firmly believe that they believe they have a gem of a rare and original typewriter there.  We, of course, know otherwise.

There is another machine on ebay now, an old L.C.Smith advertised as in "mint condition" which is even worse than my decent but far from mint No.8.  I just don't understand why so many people don't know that "mint" means brand new appearing with NO flaws, marks, etc.  That tyepwriter has been listed numerous times also with no sale.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GREATLY-REDUCED-MINT-CONDITION-L-C-SMITH-BROS-TYPEWRITER-1911-23-WORKS-WELL-/130901142975?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e7a50edbf

As for other makes than Underwood offering longer carriages as standard I think there are a number of them; Royal, L.C.Smith, in fact probably most major typewriter makers had models with longer carriages.  Some may have been made in much lower quantities than the popular Underwoods.

In general, typewriters on ebay are not much different than other collectibles.  Many are way overpriced and I see a trend to list at a high starting or Buy It Now and sometimes with a "Make Offer".  There are less listings starting at $9.99 or so where the market can bid the item up to a reasonable and fair value.  And, of course, so many misinformed sellers (which I can't always blame them) with inflated descriptions.   Ain't it all fun!!

09-5-2013 18:20:57  #12

Oh you're right! Nickel! Nickel...My mistake. I was thinking of motor-cars, not typewriters. 

Of all the standards I've moved around, the Remington 16 was the heaviest. At least 30 pounds. Almost certainly more. 

That is NOT mint condition. WORKING condition probably. But not MINT. I would expect it to look like it just rolled out of the factory. 

About two weeks ago, there was a Corona folding portable for sale on Aussie eBay, for $600.00 starting bid. Or $500.00 Buy it Now. 

So far, I think that's the most ludicrous one I've seen. Granted, it was in spectacular condition, but still... 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

20-12-2013 11:40:06  #13

http://www.huuto.net/kohteet/matkakirjoituskone-vintage-olivetti---lettera-22/282353161
http://www.huuto.net/kohteet/matkakirjoituskone-olivetti/293101688

Not just one but two Lettera 22's, from different sellers. Well they're not asking for thousands like some people but still, 140-150 eur for a Lettera 22 is stunningly hopeful. I probably paid less than 10 eur for mine.

20-12-2013 13:01:10  #14

Crazy prices to be sure. Even though machines with less common paint fetch more money, that lovely green 22 is not worth a fraction of that asking price. Us collectors need to be patient and wait for the reasonably priced machines and hopefully grab them before a reseller does. In Toronto there are a number of buyers now who only buy typewriters to flip them for a profit. It's a silly way to make money and yet they try it anyway. Buying a $30 typewriter for $30 and then trying to sell it for $110 can't be easy; after all, the higher the price tag the less interest there will be in the machine.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

21-12-2013 02:16:27  #15

I don't say this isn't somewhat interesting find, but it's still ridiculously priced:
http://goo.gl/CJIrfV
An Erika with apparently a nazi SS-symbol. 500 eur. Certainly the first one to have a such button that I've seen, and it's admittably otherwise good looking machine too. That's still ten times more than the realistic asking price for a such machine (without an ss-button).

I wonder where all those sellers get their ideas, who enables them? Anything priced at 100 or more never seems to leave the sites here. Silly people. At least ridiculous prices should keep key choppers away too.

Last edited by tatte (21-12-2013 02:17:10)

21-12-2013 03:38:59  #16

Believe it or not those machines come up fairly often and usually sell for that asking price. Most I've seen are field machines, but clearly this one was used in an office.The problem with military models like these is that there are a lot of fake ones in circulation; it isn't difficult to replace the paper under a key and solder on a custom slug - and it's very profitable too because you turn a $70 typewriter into a $700 one. It's interesting that there wasn't a photo of the slug.

The ad mentions a certificate of authenticity. I wish there was a photo of that too because I'd like to know who is claiming this machine is the real thing.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

21-12-2013 06:40:54  #17

Oh. It's good to know that something like that might actually be worth something. Another detail to start keeping an eye for.

16-2-2014 15:16:27  #18

Just to un-dig this topic... 
On my eBay, a tenth (10 %) of all the new announcements includen somewhere in the description "NSA proof", or "the NSA cannot spy what you are writing with this typewriter"...

A la mode, uh ? 

Last edited by iMe (16-2-2014 15:16:57)

16-2-2014 15:47:51  #19

I'm sure those keywords are drawing extra attention from the NSA. And a file has been started. "Why would this person want to promote the creation of NSA-proof documents?" they're asking themselves. "What are they hiding?"

I've seen all kinds of crazy hyperbole being used by overimaginative sellers, mostly those who are asking an equally crazy amount for the machine they have for sale. Probably the most abused descriptor in ads is the word 'rare'. Many who use it clearly don't understand what the word means, and fail to see the irony of using it when there are three other machines identical to theirs listed at the same time.

24-4-2014 03:28:08  #20

http://www.tori.fi/kanta-hame/Kirjoituskone_11544134.htm?ca=5&w=3
Who'll be fast enough to catch this amazing offer, Silver-Reed SR100 for only 11 100 euros!

Yeah, it's obviously a typo or well planned advertising strategy, sure made me take a closer look. But who knows, maybe someone thinks they can sell it for 11 200 euros and buys it. (In the description the seller offers a trade to pack of coffee and filters, worth maybe 5 euros.)

And on the other end of fake prices we have this gem:
http://www.tori.fi/varsinais-suomi/Vanha_kirjoituskone_11486085.htm?ca=5&w=3

I guess I could as well ask what that seller really wants for the machine, my guess would be something around 50-100 euros.

Last edited by tatte (24-4-2014 03:36:43)

Board footera