You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03-10-2015 14:01:49  #1

1939 Corona 4 keys not driving carriage forward

Hi everyone,

This is my first typewriter restoration -- never even used a typewriter before so be gentle! 

Problem:  None of the keys move the cylinder from right to left.

Background:  I replaced, successfully I think, the main drawstring with fishing wire, drum was rotated 5 times to ensure adequate torque.  When carriage release pressed it now zings along from right to left with a ding at the end.   I have wd40'd the escapment mechanism to try and make it slick and it appears to move nicely left to right when the carriage release is on.

The carriage lock is not on and the margin release key is fully up, the margin stops are at each end of the margin stop rod.

Oddities which could be related and give some clue:
1) Backspace when pressed moves the carriage in right direction but does not hold position (no click of escapment).
2) Space bar does not move carriage left, hitting on a saw tooth.
3) When release carriage, it needs a nudge to the right before it zings over to the left.
4) When I lock the carriage and it moves to the center, it initially stops bang on the center but given a little jog when I let go and it moves a few mm to the left, as if the sawtooth has moved slightly.
5) When I use my finger to push the bar that the space bar is supposed to move, the mechanism is blocked by the current sawtooth of the escapement from moving below it to release it.  When I move the carriage slightly to the right, it can then drop below the sawtooth and the carriage then moves to the left (in an uncontrolled manner). 

Current hypothesis:  something wrong with escapement sawtooth mechanism, perhaps out of alignment somehow.   Here is a good diagram of what it looks like
myoldtypewriter.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/part.jpg?w=646
the bottom bit though (cross shaped piece in middle bottom of image) seems to rest slightly off 90 degrees -- don't know if this is correct or not). 
Related to my second oddity, when space bar is pressed it tried to lower the cross shaped piece below the escapement sawtooth, but it hits the sawtooth and so cannot "click".

For reference I have a Corona 4 which looks identical underneath to typewriterdatabase.com/img/g2533_5468__5468_1401502556.jpg
This is a pretty good view similar to my machine as well (myoldtypewriter.wordpress.com/category/corona-4/).

Have focused on the space bar and backspace as I figure if I can get those working then the other keys should work, does this sound a good plan?

All help really appreciated as am at a complete dead end of things to poke at.

Thanks

03-10-2015 14:49:52  #2

Re: 1939 Corona 4 keys not driving carriage forward

Well before I read anything else 5 winds for the mainspring is WAYYY TOO MUCH! Id try to keep it at 2 to 3 winds. If thats not working, then you should try cleaning the carriage rails.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

03-10-2015 16:51:46  #3

Thanks for your reply.  I actually followed the instructions at http.etc/munk.org/typecast/2013/11/21/replace-the-carriage-string-in-your-1950s-smith-corona-silent/ which suggested 4-6 turns for this model, I therefore took 5 as being a good start.   You may be right and I will try it but I wonder what is  your reasoning for assuming only 2 would be better, experience or hunch?

tried 2 turns - too loose and drum did not have enougn pull. 3 though was enough and that has cured the additional pull when using the carriage lock and carriage release.

All, other symptoms remain.  Carriage rails are already pretty clean, no visible gunk. still need to pull carriage right to use carriage release.

Last edited by Bumblebee (03-10-2015 17:30:22)

04-10-2015 06:33:41  #4

Well, because you should always try lower numbers first. If your machine is working perfectly fine with 2 or 3 winds, and its on 5, the extra power can wear out the teeth on the carriage, which would be horribly hard to fix.

Back from a long break.

04-10-2015 06:34:42  #5

Have you oiled the rails? Or are they just clean? Because oiling rails makes a crazy difference.

Back from a long break.

04-10-2015 09:21:43  #6

should i try to take the cylinder off the rails first?  have not done so as it does not look simple to do.  What is the relationship between the escapement and the cylinder? I ask as i don't see why oiling the rails would make the sawtooth no longer block the key mechanism from dropping below the sawtooth thereby allowing the escapement to turn.

Just gave it a really good oiling runs more easily but still no difference to actual movement when keys are pressed.should clarify, oiled cylinder runners, escapement mechanism and underneath runners.

can someone explain what the ratchet on top of the drum is supposed to do?  I was playing with trying to get it to work with only 2 turns of the drum but when the cyljnder gets to the left there is too much slack from the drawstring.  Could the ratchet help?

Last edited by Bumblebee (04-10-2015 10:54:58)

04-10-2015 15:56:46  #7

The ratchet increases or decrases the tension in the mainspring. Turning it to the right (I think) incereases tension, left decreases. Or its the other way around.

Back from a long break.

05-10-2015 02:05:03  #8

So, if I increase the tension in the mainspring using the rachet, I should have to do fewer turns of the drum when reattaching the drawstring, does that sound right?  

05-10-2015 04:48:30  #9

You can use either to wind the mainspring. You can either turn the drum mnaulally, or turn the ratchet.

Back from a long break.

05-10-2015 15:28:15  #10

To try and help I have taken a load of photos and movies.  I have put them up in both a high res and low res form at http:  //  public.tom-mccallum.com/.

Hopefully this might help??

Tried changing rachet but could not tell if I was winding or unwinding so I just did 3 turns of the drum and that works so will leave at that I think unless anyone spots anything in the videos to reconsider.

Thanks

Board footera