You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-10-2015 13:20:47  #1

Royal Futura 800 Carriage Problems

Hello again everyone,

Recently bought a Royal Futura 800 typewriter. The carriage does not move UNLESS you push on it, when typing. The drawband is not snapped. Any ideas?

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

04-10-2015 14:52:31  #2

Re: Royal Futura 800 Carriage Problems

When you use the carriage release lever, does the carriage move back and forth on the rails easily and does the drawband pull the carriage to the left on its own? If so, then you need to look at the escapement; it could need cleaning, an adjustment, or both.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

04-10-2015 15:54:33  #3

No Uwe, It does release the carriage, but I have to push on the carriage manually. It will not slide. When slid to the right, and I press the spacebar, it will advance ONCE, and then stops so I have to push it. Do you have any tips for adjusting the escapment? I should also menton, backspace is hard to push, but does back the carriage up.

Back from a long break.

04-10-2015 15:55:38  #4

I just looked under it and I see a spot of dried yellow oil that is caked on in one spot. If theres some, theres more. Its very dusty underneath, so Im guessing that the escapment is frozen with gunk. Its not been dropped either.

Back from a long break.

04-10-2015 16:50:45  #5

You misunderstood my question. When you use the carriage release lever - the lever you press on to release the carriage from the escapement so you can slide it manually back and forth - does the carriage move freely? I'm trying to isolate whether it's an issue with the carriage rails and ball retainers, the escapement, or the mainspring.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

04-10-2015 16:56:59  #6

No, it does not. When I press the levers, It will move side to side, BUT not freely, I have to push it. The levers do their job of unlocking it. Its just tht I have to push it manually. It does not slide.

Back from a long break.

04-10-2015 17:59:54  #7

Im going to say its the ball retainers. Theres nothing about this online. Is this going to be a hard fix?

Back from a long break.

04-10-2015 19:53:50  #8

Start with a thorough cleaning of the rails, which will help clean the bearings as well, and then check if the resistance to slide is consistant throughout the entire stroke.

04-10-2015 20:07:24  #9

Its ALOT better than it was earlier. I think your right Uwe. Im going to get some rubbing alcohol now and dab some on. If nothing frees up, maybe a little degreaser and then oil will help.

Back from a long break.

04-10-2015 20:11:04  #10

UPDATE: Put a little rubbing alchol on each rail. Its ALMOST moving by itself now. Ill keep playing around with it. Thanks Uwe! 

Back from a long break.

Board footera