You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05-10-2015 18:38:24  #1

Repainting a Royal KMG

I know pianting stuff has been asked about before but...

I just got two Royal KMGs. Both have some rust. Both have some large dark stains on them. Both have flaking paint. The grey color is all stained, with rust spots. I know that they are not rare, they are common. Should I repaint?

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

05-10-2015 20:52:34  #2

Re: Repainting a Royal KMG

Some argue no, but I say who cares. It's your typewriter, do what you want. However, make sure it's done right! There's no feeling like the feeling of regret when it comes out looking like poop because you cut corners.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

06-10-2015 04:54:21  #3

I plan on taking everything apart and painting, ordering new decals from that Paul guy, and letting everything cure for a week, and crinkling the paint so it looks somewhat original. I was thinking I could even do the original colors too. White or black. Grey is too dull.

Back from a long break.

06-10-2015 14:46:29  #4

Does anyone know the original colors they were made in? I may paint one an original color. I think white would look good, but I dont know if that was an original color.

Back from a long break.

06-10-2015 15:12:46  #5

TypewriterGuy wrote:

Does anyone know the original colors they were made in?

Yeah, GREY. As in KMGrey. Athough I've never seen one in another colour, its possible some were produced with a black finish. It wasn't until the FP was introduced that the colour palate for Royal standards began to get more interesting.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

06-10-2015 15:19:59  #6

I don't think they ever came in anything but grey. I remeber seeing an ad for one somewhere and it's described as "Gray Magic." As we all know, grey is the most magical color out there.

(If you're going to go through all the trouble to repaint two, at least make one a more exciting color please. Grey is even more bland than 60's office tan, which my school has plenty of).

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

06-10-2015 16:20:13  #7

Guess Ill have to paint them an un original color. Black is ehhh, grey is NOT magical. Im thinking a nice red, and a white. (Oh, and these will most likley be during next year, when theres nicer weather.)

Back from a long break.

06-10-2015 16:28:18  #8

Red---what a great color that would be.  i'd love to see the outcome of that.

06-10-2015 16:42:38  #9

Heres ABOUT the red I was thinking,

(Dont mind the yellow and stuff, just a quick photo editing)
Or the white...

Back from a long break.

06-10-2015 16:45:42  #10

You guys agree that these are common enough to paint, right? I mean, there pretty common, the color is not magical at all, its not very interesting, and I dont think its been attempted yet (At least as a proffesional way with new decals).

Back from a long break.

Board footera