You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-10-2015 11:02:18  #1

Sticky carriage on Underwood 5

The question is about a machine I believe to be an Underwood 5, S/N 1839551-5

Besides a few sticky keys the main problem is that the carriage feels like it is mired in extra heavy molasses. It types fine in slow motion, allowing .5 - 1.0 seconds between keystrokes for the carriage to ooze a space over. Spring tension seems to be fine or even excessive: the carriage is hard to move around even by hand so it's surprising the spring can pull it over at all.

What would be the areas of highest expected payoff to seek out and destroy the gunk that is causing this? I am a newbie to typewriter maintenance so any hints on technique would be most welcome! I am also a newbie to this forum, so please forgive any faux-pas on my part, and gently correct them.

I have a photo of the machine linked and ready, but forum rules prevent me from posting it yet!

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

12-10-2015 11:59:34  #2

Re: Sticky carriage on Underwood 5

If it's difficult to move with the carriage release pressed, then you have already isolated the problem to the carriage transport components, which on older Underwood standards are susceptible to rusting. Check for signs of rust – heavier rust will require light sanding using a fine grit paper – and clean everything thoroughly using mineral spirits (Varsol in Canada or white spirits if you’re in the U.K.). The mineral spirits will degrease, and help remove light rust. The carriage should be move very easily before you would even consider about adding a few drops of sewing machine oil to the parts you just cleaned.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

12-10-2015 15:54:30  #3

This friction does not feel like I would expect grabbing rust to feel like - it's a slow steady kind of resistance, as I would expect from oily sludge. Then again, maybe it's oily sludge mixed with rust! But in any case, I take your point - with the carriage released this resistance can only come from sliding components in the carriage itself. If I have that right.

I may be wrong about the model being Underwood 5 - same frame and glass keys, it says "Underwood Standard" on front and "Underwood" at the paper rest, but I notice it's black crinkle not glossy black, and no "5" or ornate decoration.

I shall clean every sliding bearing surface in sight.

12-10-2015 16:16:41  #4

You also may have an Underwood Champion Standard typewriter. Does it look like this?(Maybe not as long of a carriage)

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

12-10-2015 18:09:05  #5

Well, there are some points of family similarity (crosses fingers and hopes as third post photo linking will work)...

But also differences. In fact, I am tending back to model 5, because when I looked more closely at the back while cleaning, I found this!

So it seems to be a rebuilt #5, though the rebuilding is itself vintage. I can see some shiny paint where the crinkle has flaked off. I am happy with this interpretation, because it would mean according to the serial number it turned 90 last year and I may be around long enough to see it pass 100 and become officially antique, before it finally must find a new owner on its trek into eternity! Meanwhile, it will occasionally be called on to type for its maintenance.

Feet and platen are in better shape than could be expected, though it lost its ornate paint job. The Wholesale Typewriter Company was in business in NYC from 1905 - 1982. I am thinking rebuilt in the 1940's? 

Last edited by Repartee (12-10-2015 18:12:41)

12-10-2015 19:40:27  #6

You are correct on that! It is a rebuilt b=machine... One of the better looking ones too... I usually find the ugly grey ones.... Anyways...

That is a rebuilt #5. It probably would have been (As you said) rebuilt in the 40s to resemble the crinkle finish typewriters at that time. Great find!

Back from a long break.

12-10-2015 21:22:17  #7

Thank you, Typewriter Guy!

And thank you, Uwe! Mineral spirits are the stuff - I think sticky mechanical parts are frightened into submission by its mere scent! Anyway, easily removed thin coating of grime on rails, which was all it took. Also fixed two sticky keys (third one fixed by bending head over slightly).

Beginner's luck, no doubt, but thank you for pointing me to the right material and the right place to apply it.

13-10-2015 15:19:09  #8

TypewriterGuy wrote:

You also may have an Underwood Champion Standard typewriter.

"Champion?" Your photo shows what looks to be a SS or SX-100 (Rhythm Touch) model. Where did you get the Champion name from? Off the space bar?

I've come across many Underwood models from the late '30s to late '40s that have the word "Champion" engraved on their space bar, but that wasn't the machine's model name (although there was a Champion portable). I used to think that they were replacement space bars, but after more digging it seems that the name was a marketing reference to all the World Speed Typing Championships that Underwood was winning at the time. Here's a photo of a "Champion" space bar, but this one is on my Underwood Master.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

13-10-2015 17:33:34  #9

I get the names mixed up all the time on them, I meant the master. My bad...

Uwe, My master doesnt have key covers. Have any idea why did underwood do that? I think thats on all of them, right?

Back from a long break.

14-10-2015 11:05:12  #10

TypewriterGuy wrote:

My master doesnt have key covers. Have any idea why did underwood do that? I think thats on all of them, right?

Was that photo of your own machine? If so, it's not a Master, but a SS or SX model. Check the serial number.

I'm not sure what you mean by key covers. If you're referring to the 'glass/plastic' key tops that older machines had, then no, later Underwoods did not have them. They weren't alone though. If you look at other standards made at the time, like Remington models for example, they also didn't have key tops. Why? Well, I suppose because they no longer needed them. Most key tops were there to protect the paper legend that identified each key. Later models didn't use paper legends, they had engraved plastic keys instead, so there really wasn't a need for a key top.

Board footera