You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20-10-2015 08:44:49  #1

Cleaning an Olympia SM9

Last week my 12-year-old came home from school, completely excited because another kid brought in this totally cool thing. It was a typewriter. "Mom, he typed my name on it!" I mentioned we had a typewriter, buried in the closet, and he was so excited when I hauled it out. He's been typing on it nonstop.

The typerwriter, however, is filthy. Dust on the inside. Needs a good wipedown on the outside. The typewriter was my grandfather's and I found the serial number and dated it to being a 1966 Olympia SM9. My question: What is the best way to clean this without damaging it? Is this something I could do myself or am I better off taking it to a repair shop for a general cleaning/look over. The typing seems fine, though I don't know how it compares to how it typed in 1966 when it was new. I've always treasured the typerwiter simply because my grandfather was a writer and he spent many hours on it; but I love the idea of it being used again by my son (and my grandfather's namesake!). Would love suggestions! (Grateful I found this site!)

(Unfortunatetly I can't post a picture since I'm new to the site, otherwise I'd give you a peek at what it looks like.)

20-10-2015 10:40:30  #2

Re: Cleaning an Olympia SM9

Hello and welcome!
   The SM9 is a great machine, and you have a typing work-horse there.  Don't be fooled by the low prices these can sometimes be bought for - it's very near the top of the range in portable machines, but it's not much of a looker, and prices tend to go by looks much of the time.  It's well worth preserving and maintaining; if this is done, your child will be able to pass it to his or her grandchildren still in good condition and working more or less as well as ever it did.  There will be many threads here talking about it, the search box is in the top yellow bar, third one along.  I have many many machines, and some that cost a great deal more, but if I'm going to do some serious typing, one of my SM9s is likely the one I reach for.
   I say all that to indicate that this is a machine worth the professional service, and if I were you. I'd ask for a quote from a typewriter repair shop, and see how you feel when you know how much it will cost in your area.  Cleaning, fettling and relubricating can be done fairly quickly by someone who knows what they're doing, but can be a little daunting for the totally inexperienced.
Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Last edited by beak (20-10-2015 10:48:16)

Sincerely,
beak.

20-10-2015 10:46:30  #3

Thank you so much! I know there's a shop not far from me (I'm in the Boston area), so I will look into it. You're right it's not the prettiest--but if nothing else the sentimental value is signficant for me. I will let you know how it all comes out. Appreciate your response!

20-10-2015 10:54:29  #4

You're welcome.  I wrote in another thread somewhere that my preference for the SM9, apart from its excellent handling, mechanical design and range of features, is that it does not distract me from thinking about the text I'm trying to lay down.  Older machines, and those perhaps more handsome in appearance can easily do that.  I think this is why it has always been very popular with serious writers.

Last edited by beak (20-10-2015 10:54:58)

Sincerely,
beak.

20-10-2015 11:48:22  #5

I second the suggestion of finding a great repair shop!  If I hadn't found such a reputable, experienced and reasonable repair guy, I probably wouldn't own all the typewriters that I do in such a short time.  I can certainly do the superficial cleaning myself but I trust him for any servicing and repair.  I just got an SM7 that I will be bringing to him for inspection.  The tab key hits the key below it when I press down on it.  Even though I don't use tabs much, I'm going to bring it in just so he can give it a general look-over and adjust that tab key so it doesn't hit another key.

21-10-2015 12:32:59  #6

I dropped it off this morning for a good cleaning. Of course, it may do more damage to my wallet than I had hoped... I spied a real beauty of a typewriter that may also have to come home with me when I pick up my Olympia. :-)

21-10-2015 15:20:01  #7

Can I just say, I think the 1966 SM9 is intensely beautiful. I never get this thing where people say it doesn't look nice. The colours are great, with the turquoise keys; the finish is creamy and lovely, and the beautiful clean sweep of the line is just classic sixties and gorgeous. So there. Mine is an SM8 in fact but I love it as much as one can love a machine with the tab settings on the back.

21-10-2015 15:29:42  #8

Definitely a whole different esthetic than a prewar Quiet Deluxe, say. But I agree that it's very handsome in a 60s way, and actually pretty classic. (And once you start using it, its feel and features are what you remember, as Beak says.)

I saw one today in a boutique print shop -- carriage won't seem to budge.  They're using it as a display item so I guess they don't care if it's working or not, but I have half a mind to offer them a few bucks for it and see if I can get it working.

21-10-2015 15:58:16  #9

I really like the way the SM9s look also.  It's sort of a transition between the lovely curves of the earlier typewriters and the boxiness of the later ones and it hits it just right.

I have an SM9 and it's a great machine.

21-10-2015 21:14:07  #10

As much as the lines of the SM-9 are easy on the eyes, I have a thing for curves... If I could put the mechanics of the SM-9 into the body of an SM-3, it would be a perfect match.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

Board footera