You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26-10-2015 17:26:09  #11

Re: Sears Citation Portable Manual Typewriter

Olivetiger wrote:

https://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a5ce07b3127cceea20d15d36f400000030O00BauWLRu3cuAe3nwM/cC/f%3D0/ls%3D00809774195020151026211938402.JPG/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

I'm not sure if the URL will show the picture of the Sears Citation Ribbon Cartridges.  In the typewriter's manual it says to slip in a new Easi-Load Cartridge Ribbon and the Catalog Reorder number is 3740 for Sears.  In the manual there is an option to Change-A-Type.  It says... With Change-A-Type you can add special symbols and characters to your typewriter in seconds.  Just take the Change-A-Type slug off and slip another one on to adapt your typewriter to specials needs.  You can order five Change-A-type kits, each kit contains four types (eight characters).  

Also on this typewriter the Platen is removable.

I think that's all true. The white ribbon covers are just that---covers over ordinary ribbons. They might be sealed, though, and that makes them seem special. Regular ribbons will work. Keep the white covers for their unusualness; maybe they'll even fit easily over the new spools. They sure look nice in that white typewriter, even if we can't usually see them.

Change-A-Type---yeah. You'll find out more about them as time goes on. You don't need them to use a typewriter.

Similarly with a removable platen---not much need for that. Makes cleaning a trifle easier, getting it recovered a bit easier. In the old days you could get special platens for special purposes, but that couldn't have been a big deal for this model and you won't find any of them nowdays anyway.

Just write stuff.

27-10-2015 01:01:58  #12

Re: Sears Citation Portable Manual Typewriter

Hi Olive Tiger

By the looks of those ribbon covers or cassettes, they may be Smith-Corona's answer to Royal's touchless ribbon change system (see eBay item # 131625576115 for example). Once these are lifted out, the standard 2" (50mm) ribbon spool or Smith-Corona's 2-1/8" (2.125" or 54mm) ribbon spools dropped into the ribbon wells. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

Board footera