You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26-10-2015 10:48:30  #1

Getting cleaner type.

So, I'm facintg a slight problem when I writer.  The typewriter I am currently working with puts down ugly, over-inky type.  I have a few theories about what might be causing the problem, but figured I would ask for more experienced advice.  What happens, as you will see in the photos, is that the inside of certain parts of letters is filled with ink, while other parts of letters are, epecailly the tail of the lower-case letter 'd' do not show up at all.  I have a free OCR software I'd like to use, but it can't read the letters in thier current state.  My two most prominent thoughts are that, it has something to do with the rock hard platen (it's a 90 year old machine, so this is to be expected, I would assume), or that it is an overly saturated ribbon.  Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Here's a picture.  It's a cut from a fantasy novel I'm working on, and it gives a good idea of what I'm dealing with.  

Anyways, thanks in advance!

Best,

--Zac

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. -- Ernest Hemingway

26-10-2015 12:01:01  #2

Re: Getting cleaner type.

I'm not sure I can help with the tail of lower case letters not showing up.  But when I had a couple of letters, such as a and e, with the space inside filled with ink, like in your example, I was able to fix that by indivudually cleaning each letter on each slug.

I used Naphtha, lots of wooden toothpicks and lots of Q tips to clean out the hardened ink in and around those tiny spaces.  It made a world of difference, and now the type is so crisp and clean, and all the letters on the slugs look shiny and new.

26-10-2015 12:33:29  #3

tothetrail wrote:

I'm not sure I can help with the tail of lower case letters not showing up.  But when I had a couple of letters, such as a and e, with the space inside filled with ink, like in your example, I was able to fix that by indivudually cleaning each letter on each slug.

I used Naphtha, lots of wooden toothpicks and lots of Q tips to clean out the hardened ink in and around those tiny spaces.  It made a world of difference, and now the type is so crisp and clean, and all the letters on the slugs look shiny and new.

That sounds like a fantastic idea.  Thanks for the quick response!  Ill give it a shot.

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. -- Ernest Hemingway

26-10-2015 13:42:19  #4

Hi Zac, I can tell you straight away that your type needs cleaning. it's unlikely that on a 90-year-old machine you'll get pristinwe and perfectly aligned type, so your ascenders or descenders might still not show up. But your issue is letter by letter: the ascender on the t shows up fine, as do the h and your capitals. So your best bet is to clean everything up and see what you've got then. If you have an Olympia, they come with a really nice wire brush for cleaning the type. It does sound as if you're going to need the toothpick option, too, but don't use anything metal in there that could scratch your letters. 

I'd also recommend getting sdome platen cleaner, or rejuvenator - Uwe put me onto that and it can make a real difference. And always use a backing sheet, to protect your type faces, especially if you have a hard platen! Think what it does to those little raised letters, bashing into a hard surface over and over. 

26-10-2015 13:50:02  #5

KatLondon wrote:

Hi Zac, I can tell you straight away that your type needs cleaning. it's unlikely that on a 90-year-old machine you'll get pristinwe and perfectly aligned type, so your ascenders or descenders might still not show up. But your issue is letter by letter: the ascender on the t shows up fine, as do the h and your capitals. So your best bet is to clean everything up and see what you've got then. If you have an Olympia, they come with a really nice wire brush for cleaning the type. It does sound as if you're going to need the toothpick option, too, but don't use anything metal in there that could scratch your letters. 

I'd also recommend getting sdome platen cleaner, or rejuvenator - Uwe put me onto that and it can make a real difference. And always use a backing sheet, to protect your type faces, especially if you have a hard platen! Think what it does to those little raised letters, bashing into a hard surface over and over. 

All good points.  I'll see what giving her a good cleaning does.  I have had a couple of backing sheets in when I type, just because I thought it would soften the blows.  As for platen rejuvenator, do you have any suggestions for a good brand or type?  I have thought about buying some online, or using, as Richard Polt suggests on his site, some DOT 3 brake fluid to soften the outer rubber of the platen.

26-10-2015 15:40:57  #6

Ahn, I don't know about brake fluid... Maybe Uwe will see this and comment - I'm in the UK and all the brands and even words for things are different, but the stuff I got off amazon or somewhere is called 'Automation Facilities AF 100 ml Platenclene Cleaning Pump Spray'.

26-10-2015 15:53:26  #7

A search of the forum for rubber rejuvinator will turn up all the threads that discuss the various products available. As for brake fluid, I wouldn't put it anywhere near a typewriter. The stuff eats paints and a surprising number of other things too - very effectively at that - and one small mistake can be costly. I also don't see the need for using such a harsh chemical when there are products on the market specifically designed for the job. I have seen professional typewriter repairmen use brake pad cleaner on typewriters, but that's an entirely different product and was used for an entirely different purpose.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

26-10-2015 22:33:55  #8

Uwe wrote:

A search of the forum for rubber rejuvinator will turn up all the threads that discuss the various products available. As for brake fluid, I wouldn't put it anywhere near a typewriter. The stuff eats paints and a surprising number of other things too - very effectively at that - and one small mistake can be costly. I also don't see the need for using such a harsh chemical when there are products on the market specifically designed for the job. I have seen professional typewriter repairmen use brake pad cleaner on typewriters, but that's an entirely different product and was used for an entirely different purpose.

Okay.  I will keep that in mind.  I guess unsound advice can show up anywhere.

26-10-2015 22:43:18  #9

Here's a type sample after a quick cleaning with a toothpick and some mild cleaner.  All in all, much better.  Thanks for the help!

27-10-2015 10:43:01  #10

That type sample still looks awfully messy. The quality of the imprint is much improved, but it almost looks like the ribbon is dragging across the paper, which normally only happens if it isn't spooled through the vibrator correctly. Then again, it's also possible that you're using a lighter weight paper and you have type on the other side of the page. How did your OCR test work out?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera