You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

29-10-2015 19:37:54  #1

Newbie with a Remington 12

Howdy - I received a Remington 12 as a birthday present the other day, and have begun the process of trying to clean it up and convince it to work.  It's my first ever attempt at this, and I've already manage to snap the carrage strap while fiddling around yesterday.    Otherwise,  It seems to be in pretty good shape.  There's a bit of rust/paint chipping, the keys are pretty dirty, and the tension spring seemed pretty soft (at least until I broke the carriage strap) (apologies if I'm using the wrong names for the parts).  

I think this will be a long-term project to get it into nice condition and maybe even working order.  Hoping y'all will be tolerant if I bounce a few questions off of you as I go along.

[tried to include a picture, but since it's my first post the board's spam-control filter got me].  Will post one or two as soon as the board lets me]

29-10-2015 20:45:38  #2

Re: Newbie with a Remington 12

Welcome! Some very experienced people here, so ask away. Sorry about the carriage strap, but maybe it was just its time.  I think "draw strap" is the more correct term, but we know what you mean.

29-10-2015 20:56:37  #3

Hello and welcome.
The broken drawband should be an easy fix, and there will be some threads here to help you with that; use the search function.
When you can, put a picture or two so that we can see your machine.
See you round the forums.

Sincerely,
beak.

29-10-2015 21:31:14  #4

Thanks, I will check around and see what I can find out.  It didn't take any pressure at all to snap, so it was probably inevitable.   I believe I'll be able to post a picture after this post ...

29-10-2015 21:31:58  #5

30-10-2015 07:12:14  #6

Tatonka wrote:

It didn't take any pressure at all to snap, so it was probably inevitable. 

It's happened to me many times: I'll find a typewriter somewhere, examinine it to make sure it's worth buying, take it home, and then within a few minutes of actual use the drawband snaps. The good news is that there are far worse repairs you could have to face. I'd recommend giving the machine a very thorough cleaning; not only will it help to familiarize you with the typewriter, but it's a great way to turn up other items that might need attention.

Welcome to the forum!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

31-10-2015 14:23:18  #7

If you need assistance with this machine just PM me as 
I have one that is completly disassembled right now.

My blog - Just Typewriters

13-12-2015 07:19:24  #8

Apologies for bumping a weeks-old thread, but feel free to PM me too, if you're still working on it. I've repaired the odd typewriter here and there (I'm certainly not an expert) but a Remington 12 that has very similar problems to what you described has recently come into my possession. We might be able to compare notes and exchange photos to quicken up the repair process.

Mine's in worse condition than yours, but if you're interested in retouching the paint, I've also posted in Maintenance & Repairs about repainting, as well as rust removal and general cosmetic improvement, so hopefully there will be a reply or two before long.

Board footera