You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02-11-2015 20:24:25  #1

1948 Royal Quiet De Luxe Issues

Hi all,

I have a couple of issues with my 1948 Royal Quiet De Luxe that I would like to get some input on. Serial number is A-1514983

1. If you push the margin release button to release the margin and then return the carriage, the margins are not automatically reset to their original positions and the margin release key remains depressed. You have to manually reach to the rear of the typewriter and push a mechanism back into it's original position to allow the margins to stop the carriage again and the margin release key to return to the raised position. Has anyone had a problem like this before on a Quiet De Luxe? It's difficult to examine the entire mechanism and I haven't tried to disassemble but it appears that everything is present, accounted for, and connected. Hopefully something is just sticking. I didn't take a picture of this because frankly I don't know what to take a picture of.

2. The cover above the type basket opens via two hinges. They appear to have been fastened onto the underside of the cover by very small tack welds when it was built, by one of those "tong" looking "bipolar" tack welders similar to what they use to build cars. The left hinge is detached from it's welds under the cover but the metal components themselves are intact. I was thinking about simply tacking it back into place with JB Weld. It looks like it would be pretty easy to do this way. Would making a repair in this manner be frowned upon? I have no way of properly welding it back into place and I have no idea who would, unless there is some kind of cheap welding or soldering tool out there that I don't know about. Pictures are below.

Thanks in advance for your input. I feel like I should be able to overcome these issues without much difficulty.

"Little bitty stingin' rain and big ol' fat rain. Rain that flew in sideways and sometimes rain even seemed to come straight up from underneath!"

03-11-2015 06:30:38  #2

Re: 1948 Royal Quiet De Luxe Issues

Hmmm.Well since there is little to no pressure on the holding part of the hinge, Im going to say JB Weld should do the job. Im wondering how those came off in the first place...

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

03-11-2015 09:26:36  #3

TypewriterGuy wrote:

Hmmm.Well since there is little to no pressure on the holding part of the hinge, Im going to say JB Weld should do the job. Im wondering how those came off in the first place...

The top cover and a couple of other components look like they are bent ever so slightly. I'm thinking somebody might have dropped something heavy on top of it a long time ago.

"Little bitty stingin' rain and big ol' fat rain. Rain that flew in sideways and sometimes rain even seemed to come straight up from underneath!"

03-11-2015 11:34:24  #4

1. Sounds like it might just need a good cleaning - providing of course that all of the components are there. When you're manually pushing it back in place, is there a point when spring pressure takes over, or does it feel like it's not connected to anything?

2. The ribbon cover was most likely originally spot welded. Such welds can break, especially if they weren't 100 percent to begin with. Such a low stress joint might be fixable with an epoxy meant for metal. Having it spot welded again would definitely damage the paint. You could get really fancy by using two small decorative nuts and bolts, for both hinges so they match, but that would of course alter the original esthetics of the machine. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

03-11-2015 11:45:32  #5

Uwe wrote:

1. Sounds like it might just need a good cleaning - providing of course that all of the components are there. When you're manually pushing it back in place, is there a point when spring pressure takes over, or does it feel like it's not connected to anything?

The distance required to push the mechanism is very short, probably not even 1 cm, and it's very easy to do, nor do I feel any kind of spring pressure take over. It's a vertical tab in the rear center of the typewriter that I push forward. The mechanism comes from the margin release key and goes up under the carriage behind the platen where the margins and such are located. Maybe I will try to post a picture. It would probably be a good idea for me to remove the carriage in order to clean/fix it but I just don't know how...yet.

Uwe wrote:

2. The ribbon cover was most likely originally spot welded. Such welds can break, especially if they weren't 100 percent to begin with. Such a low stress joint might be fixable with an epoxy meant for metal. Having it spot welded again would definitely damage the paint. You could get really fancy by using two small decorative nuts and bolts, for both hinges so they match, but that would of course alter the original esthetics of the machine. 

Weighing my options, I think I will just go ahead and do the JB Weld. Like Typewriter guy said, the hinge doesn't really support a lot of weight, that is done by the two arms/struts on the sides. JB Weld is good for metal and it won't change the typewriter's appearance because you won't see it.

Board footera