You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-11-2015 18:59:51  #1

Royal 10 carriage not advancing

I could use a bit of help. Machine is a 1916 Royal 10. Carriage is not advancing. Will post photos as needed but start with words...

Carriage strap is intact, but slack. Removed one top cover in back and exposed mainspring housing. When I move the outer gear teeth of the housing spring winds up still tighter (and strap becomes slacker) - like winding an alarm clock. So the strap is intact, spring is intact, but spring tension is not being applied to the strap.

What is the next thing I should be looking at?

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

07-11-2015 23:03:49  #2

Re: Royal 10 carriage not advancing

There should be a screw that you turn on the left side of the typewriter above the 20 that's kinda inside the ribbon cover. This increases the mainspring tension, which it sound like there is a lack of. I maybe wrong, but that's where I would check.

Here's a picture of where it would be:

Sorry for the orientation and poor quality, phone pictures are't the best... 

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

07-11-2015 23:16:55  #3

Thanks for the tip! This may have application later after I get it working, since the spring tension is probably excessive now. There seems to be plenty of it it inside the coil - which as I mentioned ratchets if I move the housing - it just is not being communicated to the strap. Which also by the way tends to fall off since it is slack, so I'm afraid the spring will suddenly zing all the way unwound with the strap off.

(If you wonder how it is that I have a new Royal 10 which types great and another with an issue... this one belongs to "a friend". I would NEVER acquire two Royal 10's simultaneously! That would be totally nutso! )

08-11-2015 00:07:54  #4

Repartee wrote:

I'm afraid the spring will suddenly zing all the way unwound with the strap off.

It happened as foretold, but in an unexpected way: I was playing with the small lever underneath the left spool, which I believe controls ribbon direction, and was stuck, when... ZIIIP! The spring unwound, pulling the loose strap back with it. And the lever unstuck.

I reconnected the strap and the carriage now moved very sluggishly. I found and moved the set-screw you mentioned, but if it did anything it was a fine adjust, so I did it the old fashioned dangerous way - I disconnected the spring end of the strap and wound the spring over a complete turn risking shredded fingers, and reconnected the strap:

It's still a little sluggish - but I will make sure I have cleaned the tracks as much as possible before risking another turn of the spring. I don't know why the paper has a reddish hue in the photo - must be all those foxes running over the page in a red blur.

How will I ever get over being an overconfident tyro when the silliest repairs keep working, at least temporarily?

15-11-2015 19:55:20  #5

Ive replaced the draw band before...

I hate it on closed machines like this.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

15-11-2015 20:19:16  #6

TypewriterGuy wrote:

Try doing it on an Underwood Noiseless. It's even less fun... 

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

15-11-2015 21:18:04  #7

TypewriterGuy wrote:

I had never attached a draw band before and feared happening what indeed happened for that reason. But it was not that bad. It was just necessary to improvise a long skinny tool to thread it under the carriage - both attachment points were accessible. As to the tension adjustment zTyper pointed out, I did one turn of the spring by hand and then finished off with a few turns of the screw. Worked out great and gave me confidence to ATTACH them draw band thingies!

I look forward to the conclusion of nanowrimo: I assume that is why there is so little traffic!

16-11-2015 06:17:25  #8

For anyone who needs to replace one on closed machines: Unscrew the draw band FIRST... Then wind it, then screw it back on. Then somehow get it past all the mechanics of the carriage.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

20-2-2016 18:37:37  #9

I've shredded a few fingers attaching those drawbands.  Here is the way I install those:  1.  Take a piece of copper wire, or bailing wire, form a hook on one end, and thread it through where the drawband will travel to the hook on the carriage.  You'll want to push the hook end toward the right side of the carriage where it meets the carriage hook; 2.  Hook the end of the drawband that attaches to the spring drum onto the wire and pull it through the typewriter until it reaches the spring drum; 3.  Hook the drawband onto the spring drum.  Tighten the spring drum (all of them have a mechanism for tightening) just slightly so it pulls a little bit of slack and where you have slight tension, but not too much where it will suck up the drawband all the way before you get a chance to hook it onto the carriage;  4.  Hook the other end of the drawband onto the carriage hook; 5.  Tighten the spring drum until you get a proper tension to the carriage.  You'll probably have to make several adjustments before you get it just right where you can get a quick enough response from the escapement and also be able to return the carriage easily.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

Board footera