You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-5-2016 11:30:34  #31

Re: Ode to IBM

Repartee wrote:

Does anybody know if the IBM electrics with the side magazines can be made to use ordinary ribbons?

Why, why, why? As you know the "side magazines" are for carbon ribbon, a one-way system without reverse since carbon can only be used once. The ribbon travels from the supply side to the the take-up spool, and converting it to a two-way system would involve a lot of work and the custom fabrication of many parts (I assume that it's possible, because if you throw enough time and money into almost anything, it's possible). Then there's the issue of the ribbon's size: the carbon ribbon is narrower, so the entire ribbon path would have to be altered, and most significantly a new vibrator made.

What would the motivation be to convert a carbon system? The longevity of a standard fabric ribbon is many hundreds of typed pages, and it's quick and easy to replace, so there's no cost-effective or practical advantage in undertaking such an arduous exercise - unless of course it's just for the fun of it, for the challenge of making it happen, to satisfy your inner MacGyver. I would applaud anyone for doing it, and maybe they could market conversion kits (surely they'd be able to sell ten or so of them); personally, I'd rather spend that time typing. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

07-5-2016 13:07:53  #32

Short answer: "No" 

As for "why", I am still involved with a difficult IBM electric because of the incredible text, and naturally my thoughts immediately turned to getting a standby. I let two regular ones go by and was looking at an executive model with the magazines, and I didn't know if IBM had created a dual feed system that would allow use of regular ribbons.

As for "I'd rather spend that time typing" I agree completely. I have taken that a step further - I would rather be typing now that attempting almost any repair! After a few tyro victories made me over-confident and a few difficult problems sobered me, if a machine needs anything more complex than cleaning or a new carriage strap it's likely to wait for the call of the last margin.

This may change when I clear off another table as the repair area, with the inflexible rule that only ONE machine at a time is allowed on the table top! Imagine if operating rooms stacked up patients in various states of repair while they worked on others. 

As for a fabric ribbon lasting "many hundreds of pages", following a well placed barb concerning the dilettante who types a few hundred words versus the contender who types one hundred thousand words I set myself that latter goal, and after warming up I decided to invest a new old stock 18 yard silk ribbon. The ribbon started out typing like new but despite finessing the impact control and the copy control down to as light an impression as I can live with there are definite signs a quarter of the way through that when the project is done so will be the ribbon. Which be only 200 pages...  But! These are very dense pages, ~600 words per page, and if typing at ordinary density that would be about a ream, which I guess matches your estimate.

This has given me more respect for Nanorimo - for after a month I am only halfway to their smaller goal! But I've realized that while writing almost anything that comes into your head at that moment may seem easier, it's actually harder than writing to a structured plan, which makes it much easier to fill in the details.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

07-5-2016 16:53:51  #33

I have seen at least two IBM Model B machines so outfitted (one I still have--a 1956 model), and one IBM Model A Executive I once owned that I converted myself.  I even soldered the extra pieces on the vibrator to make it work.  Then I bought an already factory outfitted machine and used its vibrator on my own conversion, since mine was a little crude.  It's not as hard to install a fabric ribbon on a Model A or B as you would think.  Now, the jury is out on any conversion on a Model C or Model D, but I have seen a Model C with the old-style vertical sawtooth-type ribbon spools.  I may do a little further digging and see if I can convert my 1962 IBM Executive the same way.  There is a problem with IBMs that have small print--especially Executives.  That is that fabric ribbons can make the small print tend to blot and not be as readable as when they are using carbon ribbon.  Outside of that, it's a doable project on Model As and Bs.  I'll let ya know if I can do the same with a Model C.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

07-5-2016 20:44:00  #34

Well TypewriterKing, I am looking at a B. The height of the vibrator and the lack of ribbon reversal are wrinkles I had not counted on - though the most encouraging answer would have been that they are all set up to accept normal ribbons! I am intrigued by the Executive's proportional spacing. How well does that work?

07-5-2016 22:40:17  #35

The vibrator of the IBMs that were equipped with dual-ribbon capability had 4 slots--two large ones on the inside and two small ones on the outside, higher up, so that the top of the carbon ribbon was at the same height as the fabric ribbon.  The reverse mechanism, as I remembered, was taken out of a fabric ribbon machine, but I had to (and this was a quick-and-dirty) super-glue them into the little holes they went into.  It worked, and everything stayed and functioned.  I couldn't tell you everything I did step-by-step because I did this about twenty years ago, but I can imagine I could still do it today after I study how I did it the last time.  Like you said, IBMs were built to accept either ribbon mechanism, or with the special vibrator, both mechanisms at the same time.  I found this out to be true even in Model A IBMs.      And as for the proportional spacing, there are no adverse effects on how the ribbon is advanced.  If anything, the cam that advances the carbon ribbon also advances the fabric ribbon.  But you can't have both ribbons loaded at the same time.  You have to either load the carbon or the fabric ribbon.  About the only problem is that particularly with small print, the fabric ribbon, especially if it's fresh, will tend to make the letters look blotted, so it may not be ideal for all Executives.  The proportional spacing in general works very well and seems to be as reliable as their standard spaced typewriters. They are quick in response, the touch is great, and the print, though not always typeset quality, is quite readable and beautiful.  They are more complex than a standard-spacing typewriter, but once you get to studying them and how they operate, it's not as bad as, say, a Selectric to understand.   In fact, I have seen and owned many more IBM Executive typewriters than any other brand of proportional spacing machine.  I even have some waiting until I actually have the time to go digging into them to getting them to working like they once did.

07-5-2016 23:43:18  #36

I wasn't sure what you meant by how well does the proportional spacing worked.  I hope I answered your questions.  Please let me know  if otherwise.

08-5-2016 08:48:18  #37

TypewriterKing wrote:

I wasn't sure what you meant by how well does the proportional spacing worked. I hope I answered your questions. Please let me know if otherwise.

Thank you sir! You packed a lot of information into that post!

What I meant about the spacing is I wonder how effective it looks on the page. Regarding filling I have noticed that elite type is more finicky than pica about the ribbon inking, I've also noticed that the same ribbon can give different results on two different elite machines: one will fill in the letters hopelessly even though the type is clean, and the other will work fine.

08-5-2016 16:16:31  #38

I have found in my 35 years of typewriter collecting and repair, no two machines are alike, even if you get two made by the same company, in the same year, and have the same size, and have even been outfitted with ribbons from the same company.  You'll have to contend with the minuscule differences in tolerances each machine has, along with the long service lives (some as long as sixty years or longer) of each machine.  And that's just two variables I can pull off the top of my head.  I have long accepted the many differences in typewriters, and I think it's those differences that give these wonderful machines their individual character.

08-5-2016 16:53:47  #39

As for the effectiveness on the page, the Executive gave any letter a dramatically professional appearance.  The ribbon mechanism on the Executive has a feature that advances the ribbon further on bigger letters than on the smaller ones.  It would do the very same thing with fabric ribbons as it does with carbon ribbons.  It is automatically triggered when you type a bigger letter such as M or W.

27-5-2016 21:31:07  #40

Soft! what logo is this?

It forms part of a larger ensemble...

and pulling off the veil, we have the...
IBM Model B Executive with film ribbon

The stains correspond to two negligently placed wrists gradually transferring oil and dirt over the years, but the machine is otherwise looking more intransigently and authoritatively IBM'ish than ever. All hail, great type bar office machine! May your imprints be as fair as your robotic face!

At this point the good news trickles out... we can say that the tab key, the return key and the margin set keys are the only things working properly. The basket was found jammed between the upper and lower case position but with sufficient finger strength can be slowly pushed up or down to the two end positions against a smooth sludgy resistance. Of course the shift keys do nothing. Some of the type slugs strike the platen some of the time, some of them strike the platen none of the time and none of them strike the platen all of the time. The space bars work once a line or so. I'm sure the ribbon is threaded correctly through the vibrator but I don't understand the ribbon advance mechanism and in fact it does not advance, though the inner part of the permanent left hand spool spins continuously. The expand and color controls are frozen on the far end of the linkage and the tab set and stop move but are locked together - I think also on other end of linkage.

On a final positive note, if you feed the ribbon by hand and strike the keys that work some of the time you can get some impressions...

...a little spotty but one or two decent ones, and enough to see the elegant pica font with cunning serifs and gradations in line thickness!  This will look fine when it works.

I am assuming most of this is due to application of the wrong oil long ago which is now gumming everything together, and possibly some secondary problems resulting from this. I can't give it a solvent bath but as soon as I can locate my wash bottle I can give it a solvent shower, and hope for the best.  

Board footera