You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-11-2015 00:19:45  #1

US Navy training video

I was visiting my parents the other night and finally remembered to ask my dad if he had taken typing training in the Navy.  He said he learned in high school.  I started showing him the Navy training video and though he didn't get very far, he was fascinated watching the video.  They don't have a computer, tablet or smart phone.  He wants to finish watching it on Thanksgiving.  :D

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

19-11-2015 05:11:15  #2

Re: US Navy training video

He'll see what he's been missing! You can get them a tablet for Christmas. ;)

19-11-2015 11:21:09  #3

It's always interesting to glean information from those who used typewriters as a main component of their work; when did your father serve in the Navy? And what was his role? It would be interesting to put his experiences in a time frame.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

19-11-2015 13:09:19  #4

I love that Navy video.  I should get my dad to watch it.  He was in the Navy as well.  He didn't do any typing as far as I know though, not even before the Navy.  My mom tells a funny story about when they were in college.  He had to write a term paper for a history class and enlisted my mom to type it for him.  Turns out he misspelled Spaniard throughout the entire paper and she only realized it when she was about halfway through. 

19-11-2015 13:11:44  #5

Oh... and in case you guys aren't aware, there is another Navy video about 'advanced typing shortcuts' or something like that.  It actually has some pretty cool stuff in it.  If I ever need to address a stack of postcards there is one technique I will have to try.  Watch and be amazed...

Last edited by Uwe (19-11-2015 18:29:17)

19-11-2015 16:27:54  #6

Spazmelda wrote:

Watch and be amazed...

Indeed, I was amazed.... and I'd like to order a few ribbons from the US Navy!

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the typewriter."

19-11-2015 21:35:16  #7

At 4:08, she switches from a Royal, to an Underwood. It should still be the Royal, because she talks about keeping the desk space organized for a bit before going on about tab stops. Thought the video was very interesting overall though.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

20-11-2015 04:04:01  #8

Ahh, thanks Spazmelda! I adore Lenore. Can't wait to watch this one. 

20-11-2015 04:44:30  #9

Okay watched, Absolutely fascinating, all the little methods with the carbons. And loved the backflippng postcards! 

Ztyper, I don't think it's trying to pretend to be a continuous shot... they just switch to a machine with the right kind of tabulator system to demonstrate the next tip. They do it again at 9:01, to look at the next kind of tab system. It's just an instruction film. 

20-11-2015 05:58:07  #10

Spazmelda wrote:

Oh... and in case you guys aren't aware, there is another Navy video about 'advanced typing shortcuts' or something like that.  It actually has some pretty cool stuff in it.  If I ever need to address a stack of postcards there is one technique I will have to try.  Watch and be amazed...  

Indeed amazing and particularly the typist. No office flirt or idle scuttlebutt will distract her from her chosen rounds - one stern look and all will get back to work! But such virtuosity. And I am gratified to learn "Use light, fast strokes. Release your fingers quickly from the keys and use a steady, rhythmic rate". Also expressed as "staccato touch" I had independently made this discovery trying to understand if bad technique were making some letters on my SG-1 bounce. It was, and particularly the slow release on my weak little finger. Hard platen or not, a fast release solves the problem. At least when I remember to use it!

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

Board footera