You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20-11-2015 08:47:34  #11

Re: US Navy training video

KatLondon wrote:

Ztyper, I don't think it's trying to pretend to be a continuous shot... they just switch to a machine with the right kind of tabulator system to demonstrate the next tip.

I agree. She also used an IBM to demonstrate a point concerning electric models.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

20-11-2015 11:53:53  #12

Uwe wrote:

It's always interesting to glean information from those who used typewriters as a main component of their work; when did your father serve in the Navy? And what was his role? It would be interesting to put his experiences in a time frame.

My dad was in the Navy from '47 to '52.  I'm not sure what he did to be honest.  I will have to ask him.  I'll try and watch that other video too.

Regarding the tablet, I was thinking of upgrading this one (iPad2) and letting them have this one.  It does most everything that I want, but the processor is slow for a game that I like to play.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

21-11-2015 15:54:14  #13

I had a look at the US Navy film too.  Most impressive !  If anyone on here has ever done serious woodworking, they will know that you can make 'jigs' from offcuts of wood to extend the utilty of the bench circular saw far beyond what the manufacturers ever intended.  You can cut circles, tapered components, make grooves, cut tenons and halving joints etc.  My point is - these are the same sort of techniques applied to the office manual typewriter.  I doubt that the designers ever thought that the machine could be used for flipping record cards, but there she is, doing a very neat trick.  The jigs are not made from wood offcuts but from paper - folded, slit, taped up.  The thinking is exactly the same.  Fascinating.

04-1-2016 12:59:11  #14

I saw the video that Repartee posted elsewhere about the Maintenance of Office Machines and I am amazed at the cleanliness that is shown.  Makes the so-called paperless office look dirty.  My workplace is moving towards being paperless this year.

Uwe, can we put the links to all these typing videos in one thread and possibly put it at the top of a forum? Possibly this one since it mentions US Navy videos in the subject line?

04-1-2016 13:49:38  #15

colrehogan wrote:

can we put the links to all these typing videos in one thread and possibly put it at the top of a forum? Possibly this one since it mentions US Navy videos in the subject line?

I'll create a pinned thread in the World of Typewriters sub-forum for all such film links. Were there more than two of them?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

04-1-2016 22:02:17  #16

colrehogan wrote:

I saw the video that Repartee posted elsewhere about the Maintenance of Office Machines...

Thank you for the credit, but I cannot accept it: I believe zTyper posted the links to the first two videos. I just commented on them!

I used one of the tricks today. I took out my secret typewriter at work (shh) and typed a file folder tab by folding a sheet of paper to make a holder for it. It took me several tries to get one acceptable tab, but that was the first time using this technique.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

05-1-2016 12:24:47  #17

Uwe, yes I think there was another one that was called Basic Typing Methods parts I & II.  It is another Navy video that I saw a link to somewhere on this site.

05-1-2016 19:45:47  #18

Great film - I often type cards and labels, and this helped enormously!
There is always interest, for me, if not pure fascination, in watching someone do almost anything if they do it expertly.

Sincerely,
beak.

06-1-2016 11:54:43  #19

colrehogan wrote:

Uwe, yes I think there was another one that was called Basic Typing Methods parts I & II.  It is another Navy video that I saw a link to somewhere on this site.

The link was dead, but I found a new one by searching YouTube and added it to the thread.

06-1-2016 12:17:20  #20

I'm going to have to practice that postcard flipping stunt. Then I can go on the circuit tour, as a trick typist. ;)

Or maybe I'll challenge everyone here to learn to do it, and we can post You Tube videos.

This might also make for a new activity during Type-Ins, doing the Navy stunt typing tricks.

~Joe

Board footera