You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-12-2015 07:50:02  #1

What's your favorite way of cleaning crinkle paint?

I've discovered a few bad ways: some common household chemicals do a great job of lifting out the grime - and dissolving off the wrinkles!  What is your favorite method of cleaning crinkle paint that's tough on grime, easy on paint?

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

12-12-2015 08:24:11  #2

Re: What's your favorite way of cleaning crinkle paint?

I usually use a small amount of dish soap mixed with water, and then scrub with a worn tooth brush. It does a pretty good job, but you have to do it a few times.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

12-12-2015 13:45:45  #3

Scrubbing Bubbles. Works like a charm every time. Only thing is, be careful around decals.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

13-12-2015 00:55:08  #4

All I can say from experience is DO NOT let meths get anywhere near vintage finishes; nearly ruined a nice old S-C that way.

Sincerely,
beak.

14-12-2015 02:47:28  #5

beak wrote:

All I can say from experience is DO NOT let meths get anywhere near vintage finishes; nearly ruined a nice old S-C that way.

Bit of a cultural thing here, so I finally looked up meths, and I see it can refer to a number of ways of making perfectly good ethanol unfit for drinking, involving methanol or a few other compounds beginning with "methyl", and sometimes a bunch of other nasty stuff. The fiends. In the US mainly just "denatured alcohol" or simply "methanol", when that is the main ingredient. We don't seem to go quite so far in discouraging people from drinking methanol, and "meths" is more like to refer to a party drug.

As for unsuitable cleaners, one I discovered was Lysol brand disinfectant. Happened to have a can handy, sprayed a small area of crinkle paint and blotted it - satisfying amount of dirt came up. Sprayed a slightly larger area and let it soak before bloating - even more dirt came up, along with the wrinkles. Was left with smooth paint. Oops.

Thanks, TypewriterGuy, toothbrush will certainly work for the patient, but Scrubbing Bubbles is the stuff! An entire fossil atmospheric record of cigarette smoke - probably containing valuable information on inside office air quality for the last 50 years - was lost to science in a few satisfying applications as yellow run off. It did eventually soften the crinkle paint and give it a slight tack so a little caution is in order, but looked like new after dry.

Is methanol still available in US drug stores, or did I sleep through that revolution in product safety?

14-12-2015 06:15:54  #6

I just do it the good ol' slow way just in case I come across some fragile paint.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

14-12-2015 07:42:29  #7

Repartee wrote:

beak wrote:

Bit of a cultural thing here, so I finally looked up meths, and I see it can refer to a number of ways of making perfectly good ethanol unfit for drinking, ................

Meths (methylated spirits) used to come in big bottles back when I lived in England, and it was a strong purple colour.  And -oh yes -  some people drank it.  Known as 'methos' they could be found on the front doorstep in the morning when you went to work lying comatose next to an empty milk bottle or two.  They mixed the meths half-and-half with milk (so you can imagine the violent violet colour of the cocktail) and it was know as 'Jack'.  I think if I ever had to live on the streets of London through winter, I'd be tempted to take a swig just to keep out the cold - but then again, no.
It was pointed out here that meths is nowadays likely to have some acetone in it, even though this is not stated on the container, and the stuff must be treated with great caution near typewriters.

Sincerely,
beak.

14-12-2015 12:23:04  #8

Favourite way to clean crinkle paint: lukewarm soapy water (dish soap) applied gently with a magic eraser

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the typewriter."

14-12-2015 19:12:29  #9

Speaking of cultural issues, 'Scrubbing Bubbles' is a US product. I use Flash and a toothbrush on crinkle paint - it can take quite a few layers of cleaning to get it utterly pristine but it is SO satisfying to see the typewriter turn back to a nice colour.

18-12-2015 09:30:53  #10

The machine which prompted this question, by the way, was an "All New" Remington portable circa 1951. Machine looked SO ugly it was tempting to think there was something wrong with people's minds in 1951 and repainting the only solution. After thorough cleaning I can at least appreciate the aesthetic - still a 1951 aesthetic, but crisp and new and very businesslike. But what was the point of crinkle paint anyway? To adsorb cigarette smoke? To hide the dirt for a number of decades on the assumption that nobody ever will clean a typewriter?

I feel I am repeating myself. But at least I still vary the words. So I will invoke the precedent of a Homeric bard. Yeah, that's the ticket... 

Board footera