You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-12-2015 00:24:17  #1

Royal FP owners sought for questions...

What with work looking promising for the new year, my thoughts again turn to acquiring a Royal FP.

I was disappointed at the lack of features in the Royal HH I got this year, so wanted to check the features of the FP model with any that have use of one.

Info requested:
Does the FP have a fold-out paper rest at the back?
Does it have notches in the card holder for drawing pencil lines and grids?
Is half-spaced typing available by holding down the space bar - or by any other method?
Does it offer 1 1/2 line spacing, not just jump from single to double-spaced lines?

Some answers to these are suggested by looking at pictures of the FP on line, but that can be deceptive, so would like to hear the real answers from any owners out there.
Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,
beak.

15-12-2015 12:25:11  #2

Re: Royal FP owners sought for questions...

beak wrote:

Does the FP have a fold-out paper rest at the back?

No.

beak wrote:

Does it have notches in the card holder for drawing pencil lines and grids?

No. But I think you mean the alignment scale. The FP has an alignment scale and retractable card holders (I've never seen notches or holes in card holders to aid in drawing lines).  

beak wrote:

Is half-spaced typing available by holding down the space bar - or by any other method?

Yes. By holding down the spacebar. 

beak wrote:

Does it offer 1 1/2 line spacing, not just jump from single to double-spaced lines?

No. Single, double and treble spacing. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

15-12-2015 18:33:14  #3

Well, who could ask for a better answer!  Thank you very much indeed.

I do like the look of this machine, but these (IMO) shortfalls are making me think twice.  Although typewriters are congregating at this address, I think of myself as a user rather than as a collector, and the use of the machine is paramount with me,  So still undecided.

Sincerely,
beak.

15-12-2015 18:35:59  #4

OH - 'card holder'; I was referring to the plastic type by mistake (this machine doesn't have those, of course) where pencil holes or notches are found often.

Sincerely,
beak.

15-12-2015 18:58:02  #5

Well, admittedly I have a weak spot for the FP, and have promised to stop buying them once I find a FPS model. I appreciate that certain features are important for someone who regularly uses their machines. Few standards, at least those from American manufacturers had paper rests. They seem to be a more popular addition on German models, and you may have been spoiled by your SG in that regard. Come to think of it, everything on your shopping list is found on a SG. Another model that has all of those items is the Triumph Matura, which was manufactured at the same time as the FP:

DUAL paper rests

Hole in the alignment scale

Half-space function

And half line spaces

And I think it's a dead sexy machine to boot

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

15-12-2015 23:52:49  #6

Cor blimey!  I wish you hadn't reminded me about this machine - a beast that I shall have to find one day, to sit next to one of my SG1s for a typing shoot-out.  Given that I like to have the German and French characters available, I foresee another tortuous round of correspondence in German about packing, and then weeks of waiting (nails bitten down to the bone) while DHL fire it out of a cannon pointing vaguely south.

Sincerely,
beak.

16-12-2015 00:01:30  #7

Oh why did I do it!  Just went to eBay Germany for a Triumph Matura hunt; always a bad idea.  Nothing that caught my interest (thank heaven) but did see someone asking 132 Euros for the instruction leaflet alone!  Should put that on Best Laughs on EBay thread!

Sincerely,
beak.

16-12-2015 10:29:00  #8

I should caution that I have the Matura Super. I'm not sure how it differs from the regular Matura, but I'd be surprised if it would be missing any of those features that you're after. I found one locally (it has a QWERTY keyboard); no chance of that in your neck of the woods? If your luck is anything like mine, as soon as you've had one delivered from Germany, three of the exact model will suddenly turn up in local ads!

05-3-2016 18:22:54  #9

I have owned and reconditioned a number of Royal FP typewriters, and I can tell you they are really decent machines.  They're built like tanks, and will probably even outlast your grandkids.  They are very much like the preceding HH models which had this same virtue.  Although these poor luddite machines weren't loaded down with whistles, bells, gewgaws, extra characters and all the other niceties that most of the newer and foreign machines have, they were built to last, and most are still doing the same thing they were built to do:  pile a stack of letters and numbers from right to left, top to bottom.  In my opinion, both the HH and the FP are superior machines with good touch and splendid performance.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

05-3-2016 19:05:00  #10

I agree that the typing performance of the HH that I have is very good - it's a well made machine.

I don't agree that things such as paper rests, half line spacing etc are frills of any kind; top-of-the-range machines designed for heavy office use should offer all these things as standard, IMO, and I'm still mystified at why Royal left them out.  Great typer - rather limited features is my summation.

Sincerely,
beak.

Board footera