You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

16-12-2015 06:27:41  #1

What is THIS?!

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

16-12-2015 08:06:47  #2

Re: What is THIS?!

This is known as a 'One-between-two' typewriter.  You sit next to each other, and when the other person wants it, you shove it over to them.  An economy measure thought up by a time-and-motion 'expert' in the early 1900s.

Sincerely,
beak.

16-12-2015 09:46:16  #3

Sharing is caring!

16-12-2015 11:35:59  #4

Beak was joking, right? I'm sure that someone here will know what it is, but it's worth noting that the machine is partially motorized, probably electrically driven, and has what appears to be a decimal tabulator that ranges from 1 to 10 million. And I'm assuming that the patent date given in the auction title (1896) has little to do with its actual date of manufacture. Most important, however, there are key parts missing such as the platen, which I'm guessing would have run the length of the frame. Given some of the exposed gearing, I suspect that we're only seeing a part of a much greater machine.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-12-2015 14:19:00  #5

It is a book typewriter.  In other words, it is designed to type directly into a bound book or ledger.  It therefore doesn't have a platen !  The machine is placed astride the book, and as you type, the entire keyboard and type basket moves across the page.  I'm sure that some internet research would come up with the full story, but from what I can remember, 'Elliott' and 'Fisher' were two rival companies making similar book typewriters.  Eventually they merged, thus hoping to combine resources in order to corner the market in book machines.  I think that Elliott-Fisher were in turn merged with Underwood.  The electric motor is interesting.  I thought that all these book machines were manuals.

16-12-2015 16:03:25  #6

I remember reading something like thetypewriterman said. If you look at the other photos, you will see the type bars on the bottom! It looks really early though.

Back from a long break.

16-12-2015 19:35:33  #7

It must have required very delicate setting up for each book; not only has it to type the lines in exactly the right spot and dead straight across the pageS, but at just the right height too.  I'm almost surprised that anyone thought the thing worth the effort to produce and to run.  Does anyone know where we can see the product of this machine typed in a double-page ledger - that would be interesting.

Sincerely,
beak.

16-12-2015 19:41:56  #8

Im going to research these things now...

Back from a long break.

16-12-2015 19:52:17  #9

Anyone know what this is too? Like a type bar cover thing for an underwood?

Back from a long break.

16-12-2015 21:59:22  #10

beak wrote:

This is known as a 'One-between-two' typewriter..

...I almost took you seriously... It almost seemed wacky enough to be true.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

Board footera