You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-12-2015 22:17:55  #1

Line spacing lever on Olympia SM9

When I use the Olympia SM9 and want to advance to the next line, I use the line spacing lever, but it doesn't go back to the left after I've pressed it.  Is this normal?

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

28-12-2015 06:09:35  #2

Re: Line spacing lever on Olympia SM9

No it isn't !  The return spring for the line space lever is almost certainly unhooked or missing altogether. 

29-12-2015 10:07:58  #3

Yes, I agree with thetypewriterman  I'll look at mine and see where the spring might be and try to post a pic.  I have a box of springs.  If I see one that looks like it might fit I'll send it to you.

29-12-2015 10:22:14  #4

I think your SM9 is older than mine, but I'd assume the springs would be similar.  This spring labeled with the arrow here stretches and contracts with movement of the return lever, so this would be a good bet.  Look and see if yours has one in this area.  I think I have a spring that would fit here, so let me know and I'll get out my box and look.

29-12-2015 10:22:17  #5

Oooohhhh box of springs...

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

29-12-2015 10:39:33  #6

TypewriterGuy wrote:

Oooohhhh box of springs...

Harbor Freight!  Actually I have two boxes that are exactly the same.  I bought one at Harbor Freight and then ordered one online thinking the online one would have smaller springs.  They are exactly the same.  Most are really too big for typewriters but there are a few smaller ones.

I've been texting Colrehogan and the spring is still there, but just disconnected, so all she needs to do (lol) is reconnect it.  Should be easy, lol lol.  Oh lord.  Reconnecting springs! I can usually get them back, but it takes lots of swearing and sweating and more swearing.  I'm sure real typewriter repair people have special tools that help.

29-12-2015 13:24:00  #7

Spazmelda wrote:

.... snip ....
Reconnecting springs! I can usually get them back, but it takes lots of swearing and sweating and more swearing.  I'm sure real typewriter repair people have special tools that help.

Yes, they do. The tools are called "spring hooks" and they're readily available: hardware stores, electronics store, Amazone, eBay, etc. They're slim rods with one end shape for pushing and another end shape for pulling springs into place and then easily disentangling the tool. Works great. There are several varieties of end shape and you can get an assortment, too, but probably any of them, if not too big, will do for typewriters. Avoid hassles big time. Have Fun!

29-12-2015 13:56:54  #8

M. Höhne wrote:

Spazmelda wrote:

.... snip ....
Reconnecting springs! I can usually get them back, but it takes lots of swearing and sweating and more swearing.  I'm sure real typewriter repair people have special tools that help.

Yes, they do. The tools are called "spring hooks" and they're readily available: hardware stores, electronics store, Amazone, eBay, etc. They're slim rods with one end shape for pushing and another end shape for pulling springs into place and then easily disentangling the tool. Works great. There are several varieties of end shape and you can get an assortment, too, but probably any of them, if not too big, will do for typewriters. Avoid hassles big time. Have Fun!

Fabulous.  I will look for some today.  I have been using some tiny crochet hooks and a dental pick, but if these are available and inexpensive I want some now!

Colrehogan's spring was unfortunately broken so she's going to take it to her repair guy.

29-12-2015 14:16:55  #9

Here's an interesting article I just stumbled across looking at spring hooks and spring related things.  Shows how this guy who works on vintage cameras makes his own springs and tempers them in the oven to get them to stay springy.  Very interesting!  http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/springs/springs.html

Board footera