You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

31-12-2015 17:48:26  #1

Remington model identification

Hi.

Completely new to the world of typewriters! I was given the typewriter shown in the photo as a Christmas present.   Which is very cool!  Sperry Rand Remington, but there is nothing anywhere to say model number or serial number or such.

The main reason I want to identify the model is because the next step will be to find out how to replace the ribbon!

Any help much appreciated.  Thank you.

Well now I see that I need to make 2 posts to the forum before I am able to include the photo, so that will come later...  Thanks.

31-12-2015 18:00:03  #2

Re: Remington model identification

One of the things that has surprised me is that my typewriter doesn't seem to have a key for exclamation mark!  Looking at some of the other photos on this forum, I see that this is usual?

31-12-2015 18:05:20  #3

Im assuming it looks something like this?

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

31-12-2015 18:06:04  #4

Oh, and no exclamation point is usual. They were made by a period, then backspace, then apostrophe.

Back from a long break.

31-12-2015 18:19:59  #5

Thanks a lot for the advice about the exclamation mark.

31-12-2015 19:33:57  #6

Aha, I think we've cracked it! 

31-12-2015 20:09:25  #7

On machines without the specific key, the exclamation mark was often made simply by holding down the space bar and typing the apostrophe and the full stop one after the other.  Less finger work is required with this method, as, on suitable machines, one character may immediately be typed on top of the previous one this way.  Try it on your machine; some do and some don't!

One my Greek typeface machine, several of the apparently missing characters are easily fabricated like this, and that was the intention of the manufacturer.

Sincerely,
beak.

31-12-2015 20:12:55  #8

Wow, it sure is shiny!

As for replacing the ribbon, I usually just find the cheapest ribbon on Ebay, it doesn't matter what model it goes to, and buy it. Then, unwind it off the new spools and rewind it on the original spools.

Back from a long break.

31-12-2015 20:13:20  #9

Additionally, the compound exclamation mark by the above method will be half a space to the right in the text - which helps the appearance IMO, but one can backspace to avoid this if preferred.
Remember, as with all punctuation, it was often recommended that the key be hit somewhat more lightly than normal.

Sincerely,
beak.

31-12-2015 21:56:22  #10

Thanks beak for the spacebar/exclamation mark tip! It does work on my typewriter!

Board footera