You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02-1-2016 03:36:51  #1

Corona 3 folding

Hi everybody!
I've just acquired a Corona 3, in good very condition. BUT I've got a slight problem : when trying to insert paper, I have to push the sheet with great difficulty, and when I am able to do it and the paper is catched by the platen, it appears ripped. Anyone have an idea?
Hope you forgive me for my bad english!

02-1-2016 05:25:36  #2

Re: Corona 3 folding

Hello Paulsath
I do not have this machine; it is earlier than any of mine, but until someone who knows more about this particular typewriter comes along (and there will be someone along soon, I'll bet) I'll guess that the little rubber 'feed rollers' under the main platen have perished and will have to be replaced or recovered with rubber - but that's just my guess.  If this is the problem, one of us will be able to help you with the repair, I'm sure.

And I understood your English easily!

Sincerely,
beak.

02-1-2016 18:11:10  #3

I agree with beak. I think there is a person near you, who recovered platens and feed rollers.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

02-1-2016 18:12:51  #4

There could be an obstruction of some kind in the paper path, or as Beak suggested, an issue with the feed rollers. You would need to remove the platen to properly check everything out.
 (​Note: I moved this thread to the Portables sub-forum as the Corona 3 is not really an "early" typewriter).

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

03-1-2016 05:36:07  #5

Thanks everybody for answering. The nearest repairer for me in France lives 800 km from me... So I think I will manage to repair (and certainly enjoy it!) by myself! I agree with the idea that the problem is underneath the platen, which must be dismantled. But there is my problem : the way to dismantle it  properly...

03-1-2016 07:55:40  #6

Sincerely,
beak.

03-1-2016 09:12:14  #7

Thanks very much... but it's not the same model : mine is a #3 folding corona, and in this post is for the standard #3.

03-1-2016 10:55:19  #8

Ah - not my area, you see!  In fact, I only have a couple of American machines, most of mine are German.  Surprisingly few American machines seem to have travelled to Australia, or at least are seen for sale less frequently.

Sincerely,
beak.

03-1-2016 14:30:21  #9

I own a folding Corona #3, but can look at mine to see if this procedure might work.  I'm not going to take mine apart though.  I already have given the local repair shop here too much work.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

03-1-2016 15:40:04  #10

Now I had the information. Actually it's very simple to remove the platen on a Corona 3 Folding. Juste have to unscrew the knob on the right side, then take off the other screw just on the side of the platen so that the rod can be push out to the left side. Then lift the platen very easily.
Thanks for trying to help!
All the best with your machines!

Board footera