You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

06-1-2016 03:02:02  #1

Olivetti Underwood 378, sticky ribbon issue

I have an Underwood 378, and I've had this problem before, with a previous model. I received the first one when I was 9-10, so now I don't remember what it is that I did to make the ribbon move. It sticks, & eats the ribbon.

They call me "Hammerhands".

06-1-2016 12:21:28  #2

Re: Olivetti Underwood 378, sticky ribbon issue

Are you asking about a ribbon transport issue, or a vibrator that isn't working properly? Did you try manually reversing the direction of the ribbon to see if the issue is with the ratchet system on one side only?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

06-1-2016 12:27:33  #3

If it "eats" the ribbon, it might be because the spools were installed backwards, where the take-up side is instead unreeling the ribbon. On most typewriters, the ribbon should play off each reel toward the rear of the machine.

~Joe

06-1-2016 18:47:08  #4

I think it's a ribbon transport issue. I could have it upside down, but I have a red/black ink in it, and their facing the same way as the color changer picture. What it looks like is that when I type, the spool jerks one way for about three types and back the other way in about the same, so the ribbon sort of gets caught in a little spot and eats it.

06-1-2016 19:51:51  #5

If it move for a few spaces and stops it could be a number of things that are binding the ribbon, or even the ribbon spool. Use you fingers and manually slide the ribbon through the vibrator in both directions and make sure there isn't any resistance. Similarly, free spin each spool to make sure it isn't rubbing against anything. Also, if you have a hole blown through the ribbon it is very possible that it will get hung up on the vibrator as it tries to pass through.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

07-1-2016 21:41:32  #6

I had a guy a few towns away tell me it could be the reverse, and it's stuck or something. How would I fix that?

Board footera