You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

06-1-2016 03:20:37  #1

Something less rare than a Typestar 10-II that comes light/diacritics?

I just recently (with much regret) recycled a Canon Typestar 10-II, because I found that it broke a lot when I had my merry-go-round of moving this year. One of my caps on the ends of the paper holder fell off (I don't recall what those are called, they're on the roller), the digital display fell off, and I was having a doozy of a time finding the CR-100 ink cassettes that go with it.I think I spent maybe a year emailing a fellow in America who claimed to have an entire box of CR-100s that happened to be lost. Long story short, he never found that box, and I never saw any hope of getting it repaired. I just recently found out there are three typewriter stores in my province.

I never had a case for it, it was just something I spotted in a thrift store and instantly loved that it was possibly 1-2 lbs and came with diacritics (like the "é" in "café"). I do believe it had a handle despite its lack of case. I liked that feature. I think I have a bad streak with electric typewriters. One I found too noisy, some I gave away because I was too young to order ink online. I remember talking to a neighbor one day, and she mentioned she wanted to expose preschool children to a typewriter; I ended up giving that woman a fully working, diacritic-having typewriter with all kinds of ribbons for it.. mostly because I had never used that one, and it had sat in a  shed for a couple of years. It wasn't until about a year after that that  I ended up with a lot of penpals with foreign characters in their names.

So, I'm thinking, is there something else in the Canon Starwriter line that is a little less rare, and the ink a little easier to find?

They call me "Hammerhands".

16-1-2016 13:48:48  #2

Re: Something less rare than a Typestar 10-II that comes light/diacritics?

These are electronic typewriters, and arguably pretty much the worst you can get. I'm not talking about electronic typewriters in general, but the "Cannon Starwriter" line. In my opinion these are not worth the trouble, they where never deigned as serious typewriters. If you want to get hold of a proper electronic typewriter, try the IBM wheelwriter. They are plenty available and there is a huge supply of ribbons, correction ribbons, and accessory's. These are fairly well build (as good as it gets with electronic typewriters...) and very reliable. I'm using a IBM 6715 myself. 

Learned watchmaker and office machine enthusiast from Germany.

16-1-2016 16:20:50  #3

I couldn't disagree more !  The Canon Starwriter is an excellent machine, and far ahead of its' time when launched in the mid-1980's.  I wrote a book on mine, and then used it to typeset the book by slowing the printer down and using glossy paper.  The results were so good that they could be used as camera-ready copy.  It enabled me to self-publish a book at about a third of the normal cost.  I still have my Starwriter and use it occasionally.  It is not a typewriter in the normal sense, but as a self-contained word-processor with built-in bubble-jet printer it really takes some beating !

16-1-2016 18:09:44  #4

thetypewriterman wrote:

I couldn't disagree more !  The Canon Starwriter is an excellent machine, and far ahead of its' time when launched in the mid-1980's.  I wrote a book on mine, and then used it to typeset the book by slowing the printer down and using glossy paper.  The results were so good that they could be used as camera-ready copy.  It enabled me to self-publish a book at about a third of the normal cost.  I still have my Starwriter and use it occasionally.  It is not a typewriter in the normal sense, but as a self-contained word-processor with built-in bubble-jet printer it really takes some beating !

OH, whit a moment, I think I might have understood that wrong, I though about a entirely different machine, about the Cannon typestar. I see know what typewriter you actually meant. All right, im sorry, This machine you are talking about may very well be a proper typewriter. But I have no experience with it, so I can not any advise. 

Learned watchmaker and office machine enthusiast from Germany.

Board footera