You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

08-1-2016 16:57:30  #11

Re: Consul? Hanimex? Highness? Scrap?

Oh that's a nice little machine! I have a very cute turquoise one that's branded Diplomat - albeit not with anything as fancy as an actual logo - mine just has an ugly black sticker across the front of the ribbon cover, saying 'Diplomat' in gold lettering.The typewriter itself is as cute as anything though. VERY light key action - refreshing, but a bit like playing a toy piano. I don't know how much AUS$40 is, but it sounds all right to me. 

A friend from 
Poland (i.e., also behind the Iron Curtain) remembers these machines very well... 

10-1-2016 02:25:21  #12

KatLondon wrote:

Oh that's a nice little machine!

It is indeed! I'm going to check it out next week.

KatLondon wrote:

I don't know how much AUS$40 is, but it sounds all right to me.

It's about USD $28 or GBP £19. A little steep compared to what I'd usually pay for a plastic portable in that condition, but with the carry case and apparently working, it's a perfectly reasonable asking price.

Fleetwing wrote:

Regarding the Hanimex name, it was an import-export business founded, in Australia apparently, by one Jack Hannes. Hence Han-Im-Ex.  You're right about them being a big name in cameras, mainly in my experience the Praktica brand made in East Germany. I don't believe they actually made anything.

Funny story. A few minutes ago I finished repairing the line-in socket of a vintage takedeck amplifier I salvaged from the scrap pile of a charity shop I volunteer at. I plugged in my phone, started playing an audiobook, sat back to admire my work, then did a double-take when I saw the logo...

Curiouser and Curiouser. Am I to understand Hanimex imported brandless electronics as well as typewriters and cameras, then slapped their own branding on them?

Thanks for the information, everyone.

10-1-2016 15:01:29  #13

tojeem wrote:

It's about USD $28 or GBP £19. A little steep compared to what I'd usually pay for a plastic portable in that condition, but with the carry case and apparently working, it's a perfectly reasonable asking price.

​Plastic? It has a full metal case! I'm surprised that there isn't any urgency for you to look it over; in my area a machine like that being offered at such a modest price would be gone in hours.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

11-1-2016 01:03:41  #14

Uwe wrote:

​Plastic? It has a full metal case! I'm surprised that there isn't any urgency for you to look it over; in my area a machine like that being offered at such a modest price would be gone in hours.

I'm surprised it's metal - looks plastic. Thanks for correcting me, I want it even more now. But, sadly, I've already spent my typewriter budget for the moment, and being a student, it's a choice between buying another typewriter or having dinner tonight (though the former is very tempting!). Where I live in Australia, typewriters aren't in high demand, especially considering the distance one has to travel to pick them up. So hopefully it'll still be there when the next paycheck comes - the advertisement has been there since late November, so fingers crossed.

14-1-2016 11:18:17  #15

That is very cheap. And they are indeed metal, and they're really nice machines, with a very light touch. It has a pleasingly no-frills aspect to it - not over-engineered like the Olympias or Hermes... I'm taking mine away  with me this weekend, your thread inspired me to get it out and finish fixing it up. It's typing really well now. Hope this one is still there for you. 

04-2-2016 03:26:48  #16

KatLondon wrote:

...not over-engineered like the Olympias or Hermes...

Update (a little off-topic): I regret to say the Hanimex sold to another buyer before payday. However, I'm rather glad it did, because funnily enough, today I found an 1970 Hermes Baby in much better condition, bundled with a new ribbon and a copy of Napper & Whyte's "Practical Typewriting" book from 1973... for half the asking price of the Hanimex! Now admittedly, this one is plastic, and I know you said they're over-engineered. But I'm rather fond of it, seeing as it's my first Hermes typewriter. I'll be posting in the "Recent Acquisitions" thread soon if anyone's interested.

04-2-2016 09:24:47  #17

Oh no, I meant the 3000 really, and I love my 3000. Well done on your new Baby! Is it one of the green ones or the red ones? I have two but they're both older than that one - a 1950 grey one, and a green 1961 model with the gullwing covers. I've never used one of the later ones - updates will be received with interest!

04-2-2016 09:55:13  #18

Ah, I see. I've never used a 3000. In fact, before today, I'd never even seen a Hermes in the flesh. Good news, too: it types like a treat. Absolutely smooth and fast typing experience producing very clean, neat text. Much better than my other portables from the same era. Looks like its previous owner really took care of it.

My Baby is a pale green - so pale you could almost say it's an off-white, if it weren't for the contrasting bone-white keys that show up the shell's greenness. It's interesting how Hermes have had the same model name "Baby" for so many different versions of the typewriter. That's the opposite of the Hanimex, which has the same typewriter for many model and brand names!

06-2-2016 14:40:40  #19

I'm sure someone else can tell you more about the Baby, but I think the mechanics stayed pretty much the same for decades. It was also called a Rocket for some of that time, and the design in the 40s and early 50s (I think) was licensed out to other companies including Empire, in the UK, where it was sold as the Empire Aristocrat. 

Board footera