You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-1-2016 17:14:53  #1

Olivetti Carriage Issue and Identification

Hello All,

I recently acquired an Olivetti - Glasgow (Made it Britan) typewriter from my grandparents and was wondering if you could help me identify the model/year so that I can purchase a new ribbon. The link at the end of the post has an album of what the typewriter looks like, I also found a serial number inside that reads S620824, not sure if that helps. I did find an issue with the typewriter as I noticed that the carriage, upon return, does not stick. When the bell 'pings' and I try to slide it back to the next line, it does not lock, it just slides back and forth. However, if you hold the carriage in place and start typing, it sticks, and works like normal. I am thinking there is a lever somewhere that is not locking the carriage in place, but I don't know which. I recently cleaned and oiled it so that the key actions were a little easier to use, however, I could not figure out how to get the carriage to lock. Any tips would be great. I really appreciate your help in advance.

imgur.com/a/qr3US

Thanks,

09-1-2016 22:18:57  #2

Re: Olivetti Carriage Issue and Identification

Looks to be a 1955 Olivetti Lettera 22. It uses a standard typewriter ribbon so any 13 mm (½ in.) ribbon will work. Technically, I think it might need grommets to activate the ribbon reverse mechanism, but I've found that the tensioning of a stopped ribbon without grommets works just as well.

​With respect to the problem you're experiencing, it sounds like the escapement needs some cleaning. There are plenty of instructions here on how to do that, just use the search function. And easy on the oil. There's a lot in the forum concerning oiling as well; just spend a little time poking around and you'll find a wealth of information to help you.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

10-1-2016 13:20:20  #3

Re: Olivetti Carriage Issue and Identification

I will definitely search around, thank you so much for your help identifying it!

Board footera