You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-1-2016 17:10:03  #1

New machine today.

I just picked up an Underwood Standard Typewriter #3 with a 12 inch platen.

Everything is there. Platen is moving slowly but most importantly moving. Machine is filthy but I think that it will clean up. Nickel should clean up and the feet look good.

524686-12 is the serial. I could be wrong but I believe that it is from the first half od 1925. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Although it is not as ornate as others the stickers are reasonably there and show the expected amount of wear.

Any hints on this particular model would be appreciated. I feel that I should dip it in soap and water but that process makes me a little nervous.

I will try to post a couple pics.

12-1-2016 17:36:35  #2

Re: New machine today.

12-1-2016 17:40:15  #3

12-1-2016 19:02:16  #4

To me it looks like it was half way refurbished at a dealer, because of the crinkle looking paint on the front panel, which was not a factory job.
Besides that, its a number 3 as it says on the bottom left hand of the frame.
As for cleaning, treat it like other machines. Slowly clean it with mineral spirits/degreaser, and blow the dirt out, etc.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

12-1-2016 22:10:30  #5

TypewriterGuy wrote:

To me it looks like it was half way refurbished at a dealer, because of the crinkle looking paint on the front panel, which was not a factory job.
Besides that, its a number 3 as it says on the bottom left hand of the frame.
As for cleaning, treat it like other machines. Slowly clean it with mineral spirits/degreaser, and blow the dirt out, etc.

Thanks

13-1-2016 04:49:47  #6

If you would like to remove the carriage to get inside, it is quite easy on this model.  Unhook the drawband at the back and park the end on the stud that the makers thoughtfully provided.  Remove the two large-headed screws on the front, either side of where it says 'Underwood Standard Typewriter'.  Be aware that a small bracket will fall out from behind the right hand screw so note its' position before undoing the screw.  Undo the two screws at the back that hold the way rod (large round section carriage rail)  Pull out the way rod and the carriage will lift off. This is much easier than it sounds

13-1-2016 07:16:42  #7

thetypewriterman wrote:

If you would like to remove the carriage to get inside, it is quite easy on this model.  Unhook the drawband at the back and park the end on the stud that the makers thoughtfully provided.  Remove the two large-headed screws on the front, either side of where it says 'Underwood Standard Typewriter'.  Be aware that a small bracket will fall out from behind the right hand screw so note its' position before undoing the screw.  Undo the two screws at the back that hold the way rod (large round section carriage rail)  Pull out the way rod and the carriage will lift off. This is much easier than it sounds

Thanks thetypewriterman. I will keep this in mind when I start on it. I see that is also easy to remove the front plate.

14-1-2016 00:13:28  #8

TypewriterGuy wrote:

​Looks like a late '30s full factory refurbishment to me. I'm pretty sure that the Standard No. 3 from the mid-20s had white, not black keys, so they've been replaced, and theoldman should confirm, but I'm not sure that front cover is crinkle paint. Textured perhaps, but from what I'm seeing on my monitor it doesn't look like classic crinkle paint.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

14-1-2016 09:09:59  #9

Yes Uwe. You are correct. The front is a crinkle finish. But is does not look like it has been spray painted or anything like that. The part does look factory  just wrinkled and no sticker.
This machine has a sticker on the back denoting that the machine belonged to a local Office Supply Company. Who else would put on such a sticker. Your comment certainly makes sense and sheds light on the history of this machine.
A factory refurbishment to a rented out hard working machine makes total sense.
The serial puts the machine at 1925. A 30's refurb is not beyond the realms of possibilities.

Thanks Uwe.

I have giving the machine a preliminary cleaning. I have cleaned the keys. There are 3 that there but not straight. I do not know if I should take a chance on attempting to loosen the prongs to straighten them.
Today I want to at least remove that front panel so I can clean the type basket and remove the front ruler so that it does not get damaged. It seems to delicate to take a chance on getting cleaner on it.

Than the big step of removing the top. They are supposed to be easy on this model. We will soon see.

14-1-2016 11:17:54  #10

I felt the front panel again Uwe. You are correct. It is a textured feel.

I would love to restore this machine. I do like the punked out black keys but a proper period front panel would surely go a long way towards improving its looks.

But it's a huge ask and an even huger hope to find a 20's part machine with a stickered panel. But if anyone out there has one I'd sure love it.

Board footera