You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-1-2016 12:08:41  #11

Re: New machine today.

thetypewriterman wrote:

If you would like to remove the carriage to get inside, it is quite easy on this model.  Unhook the drawband at the back and park the end on the stud that the makers thoughtfully provided.  Remove the two large-headed screws on the front, either side of where it says 'Underwood Standard Typewriter'.  Be aware that a small bracket will fall out from behind the right hand screw so note its' position before undoing the screw.  Undo the two screws at the back that hold the way rod (large round section carriage rail)  Pull out the way rod and the carriage will lift off. This is much easier than it sounds

Your instructions were greatly appreciated but I did run into one small problem. It's with the small bracket. I looked and looked and I could not find said bracket before removing the carriage. So I went ahead and removed the carriage and sure enough I found said bracket laying on my work table in the aftermath of removing the carriage. I now have no reference as to where the bracket belongs when I go to re-install the carriage.

I would appreciate any guidance you can give me. Pictures would be great.

My bracket is in the shape of an L with a small screw hole on one end. I will try to post a pic of it.

15-1-2016 12:14:10  #12

thetypewriterman wrote:

If you would like to remove the carriage to get inside, it is quite easy on this model.  Unhook the drawband at the back and park the end on the stud that the makers thoughtfully provided.  Remove the two large-headed screws on the front, either side of where it says 'Underwood Standard Typewriter'.  Be aware that a small bracket will fall out from behind the right hand screw so note its' position before undoing the screw.  Undo the two screws at the back that hold the way rod (large round section carriage rail)  Pull out the way rod and the carriage will lift off. This is much easier than it sounds

15-1-2016 13:06:46  #13

This diagram is from a later Underwood, but it looks like the Carriage Frame Stop.

15-1-2016 15:13:32  #14

Ah-Ha !  I warned you about that bracket  !  Yes, it is the 'Carriage Frame Stop' and it fits under the right hand front scale plate screw.  The two screws are different lengths.  The left one is shorter.  When you put the carriage back, operate the shift and make sure that the inner carriage frame is properly engaged so that the platen rises and falls when the shift is operated.  Secure the way rod screws, put the scale plate back and secure the left hand screw.  Now to the right hand screw and that little bracket.  If you think of the shape as being a capital 'L', turn it upside down so that the arm points to the left and the threaded hole is at the bottom.  Insert it carefully with a pair of long-nosed pliers whilst engaging it with the screw.  Once the screw goes in a turn, you are home and dry.  It can be a bit fiddly to line up !

15-1-2016 15:50:35  #15

thetypewriterman wrote:

Ah-Ha !  I warned you about that bracket  !  Yes, it is the 'Carriage Frame Stop' and it fits under the right hand front scale plate screw.  The two screws are different lengths.  The left one is shorter.  When you put the carriage back, operate the shift and make sure that the inner carriage frame is properly engaged so that the platen rises and falls when the shift is operated.  Secure the way rod screws, put the scale plate back and secure the left hand screw.  Now to the right hand screw and that little bracket.  If you think of the shape as being a capital 'L', turn it upside down so that the arm points to the left and the threaded hole is at the bottom.  Insert it carefully with a pair of long-nosed pliers whilst engaging it with the screw.  Once the screw goes in a turn, you are home and dry.  It can be a bit fiddly to line up !

Yes you did. And I looked but did not see. Thanks, I have made a note of everything and hopefully all will go well when I put things back together. I do appreciate your help.

15-1-2016 15:54:28  #16

Anyone have a 1920's Underwood Standard parts machine. I would certainly love to have the proper Underwood face plate. One with a sticker. I know. What a huge ask.

15-1-2016 19:00:22  #17

theoldman wrote:

What a huge ask.

​I wouldn't consider it a huge ask given how common the machine is. There are so many Underwood standards floating around still from that era that it sometimes seems it was the only typewriter ever made. I'd create a WTB post for the part in the Buy&Sell section as it's far more likely that someone will see your request there. Good luck!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

15-1-2016 22:08:42  #18

Uwe wrote:

theoldman wrote:

What a huge ask.

​I wouldn't consider it a huge ask given how common the machine is. There are so many Underwood standards floating around still from that era that it sometimes seems it was the only typewriter ever made. I'd create a WTB post for the part in the Buy&Sell section as it's far more likely that someone will see your request there. Good luck!

Thanks Uwe. As usual you are so helpful.

16-1-2016 07:52:21  #19

I think theres one on eBay... Let me check...
Okay I found one, although it does not have a sticker.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Underwood-Standard-Typewriter-5-Part-Front-Plate-/161873615116?hash=item25b06b590c:g:1N0AAMXQVERS8nSH
Why do you need a new one?

Last edited by Uwe (16-1-2016 14:27:17)

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

16-1-2016 09:09:56  #20

TypewriterGuy wrote:

I think theres one on eBay... Let me check...

Why do you need a new one?

Mine is plain black. I would like one with the sticker and pin striping.

Board footera