You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20-1-2016 01:16:32  #1

Snapped off line space indicator lever

I broke off the line space indicator lever on my Optima Elite 3, trying to bend it straight. Is there anyway to mend it using JB weld, a soldering iron, something else, or am I just stuck? I can still adjust the line spacing with my finger nail, and I always single space anyway, so it is not the end of the world. I am just kicking myself for breaking it in half, and was wondering if there was an easy fix.

20-1-2016 06:24:16  #2

Re: Snapped off line space indicator lever

I don't think any of those is going to be strong enough. You can always try, but I just don't think JB weld or soldering would work. I bought a Royal Speed King, and half of all the levers on the carriage were snapped (Dropped?), and I just got a 3D printer, so I am going to try to 3D print an extended lever, sort of like a cap. If you want me to try that for you, I can.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

20-1-2016 11:16:16  #3

I assume we're talking about the line space selector (see photo below)? I'd remove the entire lever and have it welded at a local metal shop, sand the weld bead clean and either paint the lever, or if you want to spend the money and keep the machine original, have it re-chromed. It might sound like a lot of work for a little lever, but it would be a proper job. Products like JB Weld might hold, but I wouldn't consider it to be a real repair. 

On the other hand, you could just search for a replacement lever. Someone parting out an Elite might have one for sale.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

20-1-2016 11:53:48  #4

Thanks,TypewriterGuy and Uwe. Yes, It is the line space selector. Is it difficult to remove the end pieces on the carriage to get to it? I couldn't figure out how the end pieces/back of the carriage shell come off, or how they are attached, as the screw heads all seem to be inside, but impossible to reach.

Board footera