You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25-1-2016 10:20:32  #1

Weird Project: Custom slugs?

Hello All,

Brand new here and don't know much about typewriters. I'm a graphic designer and am toying with the idea of designing a modern monospaced font and actually putting it on a typewriter. It seems like an interesting idea to have an old looking machine produce modern typography (especially since mono spaced fonts are becoming cool again in the digital space) I have access to CNC to fabricate slugs but despite my searches I haven't quite been able to figure out if this is doable or worth it. I do understand this will be quite a process with some risk of flat out ruining a good typewriter, but my main questions are:

1. What type of type writer will be the easiest to modify i this way? I was guessing just a cheap, portable, mechanical one would be simplest and least risky? I am open to any type, but want one that will work reliably be it new or reconditioned.
2. How are the slugs attached to the lever arms? What is the best way to remove and attach new slugs?
3. Given that I can reproduce a slug to specification, what other considerations are there in attaching them? (Angle of attachment to lever, angle of impact with ribbon/paper,etc)

Thank you!

25-1-2016 10:32:36  #2

Re: Weird Project: Custom slugs?

Hi Addisonian,

This sounds like an interesting project.  It shouldn't be too hard to find a clunker machine to modify.

1. Most machines are going to be similar as far as the typebars and the slugs.
2. The slugs are soldered onto the type bars.  They can be taken off easily with a torch.
3. Angle of attachment is very important.  As far as I know professional typewriter repair people used some sort of jig to get stuff aligned correctly.  It has to be at the right angle to strike the paper properly, and it has to be lined up so that it fits through the slot in the ribbon vibrator assembly (not sure what the proper name for this is).

I'd say, go find you a clunker machine and start examining it.  If you are mechanically minded you should be able to figure out all the variables to make this idea work.

Side note:  Would you be able to fabricate a typebar?  Curious!

25-1-2016 10:35:27  #3

Oh, and when I say 'it has to be at the right angle', it's actually angleS.  There are multiple dimensions for the proper angle. 

I've never done this myself, but I have a machine with a broken typebar (hence my question above) and I've had someone weld the head back on the typebar.  Getting the angle of the slug aligned correctly has been impossible- but... we are dealing with a typebar that has been reinforced with metal strips and can not be bent (formed) to compensate for the repairs.

25-1-2016 11:16:24  #4

It's an interesting project, and looking forward to hearing how it goes.
I think I can add to the complexities by passing on that (afaik) the face of the slug is also curved - to match the radius of the platen (big rubber roller).  For all the above, I think it is doable, given the will to do it.
Be sure to find a machine that is both common (so as not to fear destroying the last of its kind) and which has plenty of technical information available on it, and make sure that it is in good working order before you begin - no point doing all this on a 'junker', IMO.  I might look at an Adler Gabrielle (several types) or similar machine.

Are the slugs in fact soldered or perhaps brazed in place, rather than welded? - I think so.

Sincerely,
beak.

25-1-2016 11:25:11  #5

Yes, I agree with beak as far as finding a machine that is in good working order.  When I said clunker above, I was more talking in appearance rather than function.  At least as far as the initial experiments.  My thinking on this was to not spend a lot of money on a 'nice' machine. And the point of using something common is great advice.

Yes, slugs are soldered on.  When I was talking about welding above, I have a machine with a broken typebar.  The slug is still soldered onto the head, but the head is broken off of the rest of the typebar.  It was welded back on with some reinforcing strips of metal.  Just to clarify...

25-1-2016 13:12:25  #6

Thanks for your replies! Super helpful! There are some typewriter repair shops near my in LA so I'm gonna go talk to those guys too and see if they have those jigs you were talking about or some other way to make this easier.

Definitely want to do this on a typewriter that I don't need to fix up first. Looking at some Adler Gabriels, got any other specific recommendations for a nice one with lots of resources and ribbons still available? Really like the look of the 60's-70's portables.

Spazmelda, not sure what I can do with the actual type bars yet, but I'll let you know once i have a typewriter in my possession and see how their made. But given that i find one one with no issues on the actual typebars, it should be somewhat easier to get the slug to line up properly since the type bar is in original orientation and only the slugs need to be soldered on correctly?

25-1-2016 15:46:15  #7

I was thinking about this, but just in case of failure, or wanting to change it back to normal, I was thinking like a cap to be applied to the type slugs. I don't know how well this would work though.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

25-1-2016 17:59:04  #8

TypewriterGuy wrote:

I was thinking like a cap to be applied to the type slugs.

A "cap" would dramatically change the clearance of the slug to the page, so it's not a good idea. Far easier to replace the slug if you know what you're doing. 

@addisonsan: Forget the Adler. Given your location you'll have better luck finding American-made machines. I'd suggest getting a 6-Series Smith-Corona such as the Classic 12. Not only are they pretty easy to find, but many came with the Smith-Corona "Changeable Type" system that allowed owners to quickly and easily replace one or two type slugs on their machines with optional slugs that they could buy from Smith-Corona - no soldering involved. Seems to me that this might be a good place for you to start, reproducing a "Changeable Type" slug with one using your own typeface to test how it all works. From there you could always move on to permanent slugs.

However, if you have a typewriter repair shop in your area it will be the best source of advice on this subject, and they'll probably be able to help you directly in realizing your project. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Comparison of a regular type slug (soldered) next to a Changeable Type slug:

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

26-1-2016 14:26:48  #9

This is very like the project you propose. youtube video of typewriter with Comic Sans typeface fixed to existing typeface https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5a2hapPVMk

26-1-2016 15:57:35  #10

malole wrote:

This is very like the project you propose... typewriter with Comic Sans typeface fixed to existing typeface

​Interesting, and fun, but also a good example of how not to do it. He glued "laser engraved letters made out of acrylic" to the existing slugs, and you can see how terrible the type quality is because of it. No doubt it was just meant as a quick experiment, so you can't argue with what he did, but I'd never consider it to be a permanent solution nor one that would last for very long. I was initially impressed that he had made new keys for the machine to match the typeface until I realized that they were just stickers on top of the original keys.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera