You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02-2-2016 09:42:35  #11

Re: Whats Your Best Looking Typewriter?

For looks alone, I'd put my Royal HH at the top; it really does look the part in its warm mottled grey/brown, and all of the details exude 'well made-ness'.  It is nowhere near the best machine I have, but in terms of looks, the most appealing.

Sincerely,
beak.

02-2-2016 18:37:22  #12

Depends, doesn't it... right now I'm in love with my 1955 Groma Modell T, which is incredibly understated in a dull greenish grey, but has ineffably lovely oval grey keys and just the loveliest clean, understated lines. But with a little swoop at the side where there didn't need to be one. Just beautiful design. And it's just that bit smaller than you might think it needed to be.  And the other one is the Hermes 3000, which although not uncommon is I think just so lovely it's like a mystery. It looks big next to the Modell T. 

Then again, I do have a 1935 Olympia Progress, though the gold script 'Progress'  on the paper table has worn off. Even so, it's a rather breath-catching machine. 

Finally, my grey and green Silent-Super, which is so beat up, with paint worn off, and just looking all comfy and worn in... I just love how it looks. Like an old grandma or somebody like that. 

Then there's the Kolibri, but the really lovely one isn;t working at the mo. And ditto, not working, the two-tone cream & green Princess 3000. I mean really. 

They are just all lovely. Mid-century industrial design. Beautiful objects.

02-2-2016 18:39:25  #13

That Paul guy on etsy might be able to make you a new decal.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

03-2-2016 00:04:14  #14

Mine is a mountain ash scarlet Corona Four with all new rubber. It's a beauty and a sweet typer!

Los Angeles, CA

03-2-2016 05:32:23  #15

TypewriterGuy wrote:

That Paul guy on etsy might be able to make you a new decal.

Assuming you mean me? Yeah, I never really thought of doing that, somehow... It would be really pretty if it were still there but I also quite like to think of it being rubbed off through use. It is a rather dazzling machine though...

03-2-2016 06:23:25  #16

Yes, that was for you. Well, the way I see it is that if you don't like it you can always take it off...

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

04-2-2016 05:08:52  #17

My answer may be controversial and probably biased, but I'll defend it nevertheless.

The best looking typewriter in my collection is my Olivetti Dora. I'm sure some people here would consider it heresy to call a chunky, plastic-shell typewriter your "best looking" ... especially one that has been named and shamed in the "Ugliest Typewriters" thread on this forum! But no, I rather adore it.

First of all, I can't help but feel (despite sounding egotistical) that I did a good job repainting it. I think the blue and white complement each other very well. It's unlike any other typewriter I own. It has the boldness of the blue, but also the neutral calm of the white - inspired by pictures of this model repainted I found on the internet.

I sometimes feel like a parent, who's blinded by their pride and fails to see any fault in their child. But my Dora still holds a special place in my heart. Slightly more objectively, I think the boxy shape adds to its appeal. It may not be as shiny and curvaceous as my Corona 4 or have the "refined jewellery" look of my Remington 12, but it's got a simple sort of charm. I would almost call it rustic.

To me, philosophically, the "best looking" typewriter in one's collection should always reflect its owner... it's a machine you wouldn't be embarrassed to be seen with in public. After all, a typewriter that doesn't have any functional or aesthetic use becomes a large paperweight. And as much as I love them, if I were to use a Blickensderfer on a train (apart from the obvious problems) I would probably be labeled a romantic or a dandy. I don't believe I'm either of those. The Olivetti, though, is more humbling to me. Of course, I'd still be labeled a hipster, but at least it wouldn't get nicked as quickly as the Blick!

24-2-2016 22:52:20  #18

I used to have a 1972 IBM Executive with a 20" carriage I painted black on bottom, sky blue on top, key surround was white, and the top of the front was also black.  The carriage end pieces were brushed aluminum.  This machine was big, beautiful, and printed just like the page was typeset.  Something happened and it broke down beyond my ability to fix it.  I really do miss that typewriter.  I had it for five years.  I do have a 1962 IBM I've been thinking on painting the same colors, or maybe something just a little different, and I'll again have a very beautiful machine appearance-wise.  But one machine I have that is not one I had painted that looks very beautiful is my 1946 Underwood upright typewriter.  It is solid wrinkle-black with stainless steel trim on the sides.  It was grimy and dirty when I bought it, but a little cleaning, oiling, adjusting, and a few minor parts and that one shined up just like a new penny.  When I find out how to put its picture on here I will show you.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

01-3-2016 19:41:59  #19

TypewriterKing wrote:

When I find out how to put its picture on here I will show you.

It's all detailed in the FAQ thread, the one that states "PLEASE READ THIS!" 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera