You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05-2-2016 20:23:02  #1

Caps lock doesn't work...

Hello gentlemen,

As the title states when I depress the caps lock the whole carriage goes up but not enough to type in caps. Or better said, it goes up, the key blocks...OK... but when I keep off my finger it goes down slightly, just some millimeters, true, but just enough to be impossible to have caps correctly set.

When I want to use caps, in a title for example, I must depress the key with left hand and do the whole operation with the hand down while typing with the right.

It's not a "big" problem of course, and still functioning, but it would be nice to have a "tip-top" typewriter.

Thank you for any tip or suggestion  :-) 

05-2-2016 20:38:50  #2

Re: Caps lock doesn't work...

To have caps I must have depressed the Shift key the whole time...

06-2-2016 13:16:35  #3

The two screws I mentioned can be seen in this photo. You can see the reflection of three screw heads in this photo. The bottom two hold the plate that the shift lock latches to. If you loosen those screws just a little you should be able to move the plate - just slightly - to correct the alignment.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

06-2-2016 13:29:56  #4

Some difficulties here or no pic link... :-/ 

06-2-2016 13:47:13  #5

Got it!! I see the pic now, so simple but I was looking inside and under the lid.It was bugging me here...:-( I will let you know about my fixes here. Thank you so much 

06-2-2016 13:59:24  #6

Btw, on both sides or 2 bottom right and 2 regulars on left side?

06-2-2016 14:01:53  #7

Left side of the keyboard ONLY. Bottom two screws ONLY. You should be able to see the plate that the shift lock latches to. You just want to move that plate a little.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

06-2-2016 14:02:42  #8

Ak OK, no need, the screw was stuck and the tiny plate moves freely up and down, I see...Good idea!!

06-2-2016 14:34:31  #9

Tried the plate full down, it reduces the issue a lot of course - before I just had a tiny line or the base of the cap letter printed on paper and now half the inferior letter is complete and the half superior slightly printed - it's an improvement, no doubt about it, but still some micron missing somewhere to have a full defined cap letter... Does it have a definitive solution or gone for good?

06-2-2016 15:13:40  #10

Unfortunately, this is a common 'wear' fault with this model.  The left hand shift keylever becomes stretched with use, to the extent that you 'run out of adjustment' for the shift lock.  It is possible to bend the keylever upwards to compensate, but this is really a job for someone who is experienced in typewriter repair.

Board footera