You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11-2-2016 01:23:17  #1

Carriage Return Issue - 1949 Smith Corona Super-Speed

Hi folks.  Need your assistance.  Recently acquired a gorgeous '49 Super Speed that types like a dream and is in beautiful cosmetic condition.  I can find no documentation for the machine online.  the only real problem is that the carriage must be hauled to the left.  It does not go willingly on its own and I won't use the spacer for fear of snapping it off.  It takes that much force to move it.  Any ideas as to what may be causing the return to stick?  Is there a lock somewhere on the machine that I'm missing?  Is the mainspring wound too tight?  I'm afraid to start disassembling it since everything works and I don't want to create more problems.  Help!

11-2-2016 06:13:30  #2

Re: Carriage Return Issue - 1949 Smith Corona Super-Speed

UUggggghhh I had the SAME exact problem, on the SAME exact date and model...

The mainspring has dried grease in it. And taking it out is the best way to degrease it, but if you must,you can attempt to degrease it with it still inside. I recommend taking off all of the side and back panels (They are screwed in) to do this job.
Here is a link to my blog which I post a photo of what you would have to remove: http://lancastertypewriter.weebly.com/blog/december-29th-2015

If you want to do the taking the mainspring out route, tell me and I will tell you what to do.

If you want to do the leaving it in route, tell me and I will tell you what to do.

The Smith Corona factory must have loaded early models with grease? Maybe ours came from the same dealer that liked to load them with grease? 

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

11-2-2016 11:25:07  #3

liamnorth wrote:

the only real problem is that the carriage must be hauled to the left.  It does not go willingly on its own and I won't use the spacer for fear of snapping it off.

I'd like to understand the exact problem in more detail. If I understood your description, the carriage does not move as you type (movement to the left) at all? Does it move freely to the right? Or with the use of the carriage release lever?

Your concern for the line space lever is a good one as you should never force anything on a typewriter; if a part isn't moving as it should then it needs servicing. Using a lot of force will usually result even more damage being caused to the machine.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

11-2-2016 12:14:40  #4

Glad to know I'm not the only one, TypewriterGuy.  I was very pleased to find this forum and discover my weird hobby (or obsession) is shared by others.  I love giving the old dames a good home and sprucing them up.  I have 8 of them now.  I'm a writer and I prefer using a typewriter to a PC or laptop.  They don't allow me to get on the net or check email so I actually work.  The Speed-Master is beautiful, just my size and speed.  I think it would be logical to try the non-invasive method first.  It can't make things any worse.  And it might prevent me from botching things up.  Yes, please give me instructions.  And where might I find literature on the Super-Speed?  

11-2-2016 12:25:59  #5

Uwe, I meant "to the right".  I'm directionally challenged.  The machine types and spaces just fine.  It moves to the left without any issue, just glides along.  The carriage release levers work fine.  The return (right action) is the problem.  It's incredibly stiff.  It will go, but only reluctantly.  No ratcheting or grinding.  It's a twenty pound typewriter and sometimes the force necessary to move it will cause that baby to slide across the desk.  So I've stopped pushing it until the issue is resolved.  Any help / advice would be welcome.  Again, I'm reluctant to do surgery if something like a directly-applied solvent will fix it.  Thanks!       

11-2-2016 16:13:19  #6

Well, it's certainly not the mainspring drum, which is why I asked you for more details. If the mainspring was seized the carriage wouldn't travel left while typing. Just to clarify further, when you depress a carriage release does the carriage slide left and right to each extreme effortlessly (or at least the same resistance in both directions)?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

11-2-2016 21:17:19  #7

Uwe, with the carriage release depressed, it slides easily to the left.  But it fights sliding to the right, turns to molasses and gets very very stiff.  The difference in resistance between left and right is extreme.  I hope this isn't fatal. 

11-2-2016 21:22:18  #8

Uwe I really think it is the mainspring. I had the same problem.

Liam, I would advise taking off the back cover by unscrew the top cover underneath the back of the carriage, and then unscrew the other set of screws beneath it. (You will figure it out).

Get your spray bottle of degreaser, and spray on each edge of the mainspring. Move the carriage back and forth to loosen the grease, and spray some more until you see it dripping out clear liquid (Or the color of the degreaser).

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

11-2-2016 21:25:00  #9

TypewriterGuy, can you recommend a safe degreaser?  I'll give it a shot.

11-2-2016 21:47:20  #10

PB Blaster

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

Board footera