You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11-2-2016 22:51:52  #11

Re: Carriage Return Issue - 1949 Smith Corona Super-Speed

Thanks, guys!  Got it. Ordered some of the citrus degreaser because regular Blaster smells hideous and I want to work inside.  It's cold out there.  TypewriterGuy, I took the panels off and just as you suspected, the works were bathed in grease at some point in the past.  It's black, gummy and ugly in there.  It's full of cat/dog hair and embedded dirt.  It's an actual biological hazard.  We'll see how it goes in a few days when the degreaser arrives and I set up the worktable.  The machine languished in someone's garage for about 40 years.  I purchased it at a yard sale for ten bucks.  Aside from the carriage issue, it's perfect.  Love thinking of Mickey Spillane hammering out Mike Hammer novels on those keys.  He used an earlier model with glass keys but the body style and mechanics were exactly the same.      

12-2-2016 15:47:45  #12

Yup, thats what I expected. I just wonder, who did that get in a closed area?!
You got a WICKED deal!

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

12-2-2016 23:01:51  #13

Not sure how it acquired so much gunk and detritus.  My guess is, it was sitting on somebody's carpeted floor for a long time, ignored and uncovered.  Some minor rust streaks around the back make me think it was peed on by a pet at some point.  Since I don't type from that angle, I don't care.  But I will disinfect and degrease this baby shortly and let you know how it turns out.  Looking forward to the job.

12-2-2016 23:04:59  #14

One more... What a pretty baby.

13-2-2016 08:01:21  #15

I serviced that exact model for someone (as I said) with the exact problem.
They have really smooth carriage returns.

I do recommend you take off the carriage too. Its very easy if you have the covers off to do.
All you have to do is:
Move the carriage to one side. Notice the screws holding down the top carriage rail (Crinkle paint, where the ball bearings slide on). Unscrew the screws, take them out.
Move the carriage to the other side. Do the same.
Next, slide out the carriage rail. 
Now, you will see how the ball bearings (Which are locked inside of a ball retainer) is hooked on to a gear with is on the teeth rack beneath the carriage. Pull it off that hook. Slide it out from the left side from the back.
Next, lift up the carriage and slide it out from the right.
Thats it! Now you can fully degrease the escarpment, mainspring, etc.
To reattatch carriage:
Place the bottom ball retainers on the carriage rails, centered.
Now, slide the carriage on from the right (From the back). Centered. Make sure you keep the bottom ball retainers centered too. (The bottom retainers have the little gear, that should stay centered in the teeth rack.)
Now, slide the upper retainers on from the left. Maker sure you clip that little clip onto the gear on the bottom retainers. Again, make sure everything is centered.
Now, slide the carriage rail back in place. Screw in both ends. The screws with the huge diameter tops are for adjusting the carriage rails. They do NOT have to be tight. Adjust them so the carriage glides smoothly.

Back from a long break.

13-2-2016 12:48:28  #16

Good instruction, TypewriterGuy. You should consider doing a visual repair manual. I can't find any literature for this model.  I'm sure many owners would call you a god. I shouldn't be so shy about disassembling the machine. It only cost ten dollars and I'm the same brave guy who took apart my grandfather's Rolex watch to see how it worked. I'm a little older but no less mechanically inclined and bumblingly curious. I will do my best to make you proud when the degreaser arrives.   

13-2-2016 13:04:46  #17

BTW, 27 MACHINES?  I thought I had a problem.  Ah, but it's a grand and wonderfully soothing problem, isn't it?  In addition to the Super-Speed, I own a 1934 Royal Model-10 KH from my childhood (completely non-functional and looks like the victim of a WWII shrapnel attack), a 1948 Royal Quiet Deluxe (fully restored and mint), a 1957 Remington Quietwriter Deluxe (carriage is stuck / busted), a 1960 Olympia SM4 (mint condition and my favorite (don't tell the others)), a 1964 Hermes 3000 (sticky spacebar and rock-hard platen), a 1974 IBM Selectric II (adopted from Goodwill and a constant problem child. But such a pretty robin's egg blue), and a 1982 Selectric III (restored and humming along beautifully).  I have my eye out for a Selectric I which will round out the collection.  My wife says no more typewriters or I have to go.  She's sensible and patient.  Must stop at 10.  Must stop at 10.  I can't love them if I'm homeless.  

13-2-2016 15:52:44  #18

TypewriterGuy, would you advise loosening tension on the mainspring?  I've located a nice diagram of the adjusting pallet and mainspring in an old Navy maintenance manual.  Posted below.  Seems simple enough.  All that's required is to loosen the ratchet nut and jigger the adjusting pallet until desired tension is reached.  Then simply re-tighten the ratchet nut.  I don't even know if that would help in this case.      

17-2-2016 12:55:22  #19

Update: I degreased the mainspring on the Super-Speed today and all went as planned.  The carriage action is smooth as butter.  Thank you, Typewriter Guy.  Unfortunately, as soon as that happened, another issue cropped up.  Now the carriage fails to advance upon hitting spacebar, tab or letter keys.  Oddly, this happens only when the machine is in the upright and proper typing position.  If I tilt the typewriter on its left side, all works as usual.  If I place a hand on the carriage and weigh it down, everything works perfectly.  I'm afraid the old grease may have been all that was holding the mainspring together, and when that was gone the spring gave way.  From what I can see the spring looks to be intact.  I adjusted nothing and touched nothing.  All I did was spray the mechanism down with degreaser and let it drain off.  TypewriteGuy, I did not disassemble the carriage.  I left all of it intact and decided to try degreasing from the sides and back.  I am at a loss.  Any ideas?  I cannot type much while holding a 25-pound typewriter at an angle.   

17-2-2016 15:51:57  #20

Hmmm... I would disconnect the draw band from the mainspring, but BE CAREFUL! The mainspring will zip back and unwind itself. Wind it towards the left (from the back) about 4 rotations. I think I had to turn it 4 rotation on the one I serviced. Someone back then probably decreased the tension because o fate same thing that happened to you.
Don't worry, its mot a big problem, just try rewinding it as I said. 

Back from a long break.

Board footera